Parametric 2 part Flex Boxes

@m_raynsford: Not sure if you noticed: But HackaDay found your work

8 Likes

I’ve been trying to work this out to print an exampla but hadn’t been able to get a drawing that seems correct for the material I am choosing, nor the dimensions of the box. Could be how the SVG is getting exported and imported into Inkscape from OpenSCAD.

Could be something with how the default measures are set up when opening.

If I put the Proofgrade acrylic thickness in of 2.8 mm (rounding up from 2.795, edited) I don’t get slots for the tabs with those dimensions and the box itself isn’t 80 by 80 mm with a 40 mm thickness. The whole design is scaled way down. to about 25 mm by 25 mm.

So tried it again and this time left the drawing as is but changed the px measurement in Inkscape for to mm without changing document properties or clicking on any object. Doesn’t work.

Ok. Now I found the scaling option that seems to be part of the drawing. Kind of strange how to get at that but you have to select the object as imported and then the scaling will show in the Document properties.

That gives me the correct dimension of the box.

Here is the SVG with the fill taken out and paths at .25 px and made red. Will be interesting to see how the acrylic behaves with the small slots rather than a single path for the cuts in the living hinges.

Here is the file with a 40mm by 40mm box.

10 Likes

Umm…How does 2.95mm round up to 2.8mm?

2 Likes

Metric.

10 Likes

Whoops. Forgot the 7: should be 2.795 mm (0.110")

3 Likes