"Petontical Hexacaulihedron" Cardboard Fort

I can see this being sold for kids and perhaps used as a dog house.

4 Likes

Sketchup, which is why it’s skewed too. I used a free design in the 3d warehouse hen just cut it with a plane, and that was that.

The original model was apparently not the most accurate and so we have the skew issue. I should have measured all the angles to be sure, there were other options, this was just the first one.

4 Likes

Hey, we got it built, and that was the main thing.

Her dad came and retrieved her today. The house is SO quiet, and I think River is depressed. She’s not content to sit on my legs like she usually does; she wants to be in my arms, and once there she hides her face in my hand and just lies there like that! Poor puppy. And on her birthday, too–she’s a year old today. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I realize this is ‘made on a Glowforge’, but did you actually cut these with your GF? Yes, I know, dumb question. The pieces just seem much bigger so just clarifying in case you just used your patterns to cut with a box cutter.

I suggested the box cutter route, I think she was stubborn. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

It was all cut with my GF. Except the tape. :wink:

3 Likes

Since the GKid isn’t the size of a banana it was hard to tell :rofl:

5 Likes

There are many Instructables for Geodesic domes that are pretty good. Here is one where the pieces were laser cut. It’s a bit simpler than the pentagonal hexecontahedron but no quite as cool! https://www.instructables.com/id/Geodesic-Dome-From-Laser-Cut-Cardboard/

3 Likes

I like the assembly method on that one – the bends would add some stability to the structure! Ours is pretty stable, but I worry that the humidity here will eventually wreak destruction on the bonds between the tape and cardboard. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Just get the design to someone with a big CNC and several sheets of Foam PVC and you have the makings of a nice back yard gazebo :grin:

3 Likes

This could be fun with several materials

http://www.desertdomes.com/domecalc.html

3 Likes

There are two primary ways to go building by edges or building by planes. Each has its advantages. I had at one time a good source of foam PVC scrap (and Acme in Sanford probably still is) very easy to put together with PVC glues and while not as stiff as ply it is way lighter,

In the range of possible materials it is not the cheapest but would be my first choice.

1 Like

Nice!

This is one of the coolest things I’ve seen on here!

2 Likes