Planning shop location for the Glowforge

I am lucky to have a huge room. I’m not saying it is empty…but, there is space.

I need to find a way to protect the Glowforge from dust while not using it, so I am guessing I will just make a custom cover for it to keep the dust out.

I do a lot of spin-casting which uses talc, so the workshop can be quite dusty even with air extractors running.

1 Like

I also run and operate a screenprinting shop. Luckily, our area that the Glowforge will be going into is unfinished, so I have plans to run some assisted venting in anticipation of receiving the unit. Figured I am the equivalent of a ‘nesting’ mother. I’ll be getting our shop setup months before it arrives. :smiley:

2 Likes

I had some ideas where to put the GF until I made a cardboard 1:1 scale model of the thing…it’s enormous. Now I have to do a little “tweaking” in my maker room accommodate (still worth it).

2 Likes

Great idea! I had the same reaction once I got out my tape measure–I’ll probably make a cardboard analog too.

For those of you using Sketchup I have made my Glowforge reference model public in the 3D Warehouse.

The outer dimensions (length, width, height) are accurate to the specifications provided on glowforge.com, however the rounded corners and inner details are there for aesthetic purposes only.

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model.html?id=ua8aabc5f-4d8a-49c3-b203-846a1d8cf408

Happy workshop planning!

5 Likes

Workshop!, What workshop?, I’m going to surround my bed with my favorite toys, Makerbot, Glowforge Laser, 3 Computers and a large format D size plotter. So I can get up in the middle of the night and make new ideas happen fast.

Yes, I am taking my medication…

4 Likes

I REALLY need to do this for both of my workspaces. Very nice.

Feeling the need to share my newly transformed space, especially for the Glowforge. My space looks pretty ‘girly’…but for good reason, ‘cause I am a girl. :blush: My house is only about 1200 sq.ft…and this little room is only about 7.5’ x maybe 8’…very tiny. Where there’s a will, there’s a way! These are panoramic shots, as it’s very difficult to take photos of a room this small.

This is what the room looked like before my massive cleanup/cleanout work began.

About midway through the project

This after having my workspace and Glowforge table built. The Glowforge will go on the right side of the table and vent out of one of the small windows above, where I will be installing a vent. I still have to address some electrical limitations in the room and will be contacting an electrician down the line. Two small shelving units, a folding table, a small stool, and my infrared heater can all be stowed underneath the worktable…all out of the way, but accessible. This room still houses my food pantry as well, so organization and tidiness were paramount. I’m excited!

15 Likes

I’m dreaming of the day I can have a workspace like these! I’m clearing off the coffee table in my campus apartment and running my GF out of my living room. Until we move in a couple years. Then I can see where to go from there lol.

@Xabbess that’s amazing! I’m jealous; it looks cozy and wonderful.

1 Like

I love the walls!

1 Like

From another thread:

Love this idea!

Over thanksgiving I was at my parents’ house, and I noticed my mom’s antique treadle sewing machine cabinet, which got me thinking about about fancy furniture-enclosure-type glowforge stands. Opening the lid could provide access to the Glowforge Pro with the pass-through at table-height for material stability, and then a foot-lever could raise the entire unit out of the cabinet and off of the filter to allow for easy filter-element replacement…
In keeping with the K.I.S.S. principle, I will probably still just make a simple, solid, heavy-as-**** workbench from 2x4 and 4x4 lumber, but I love the idea of mechanical-advantage for lifting the beast when filters need changing.

Maybe someone will be inspired to make such a thing, or modify this instructable about tv-lift cabinets to create a hide-away glowforge cabinet.

1 Like

That is a really cool idea. I love the merger of old and new to make such a thing. In my case I’ll need to move the Glowforge when I want to sew for a while though. :wink:

My Glowforge will go in my new office/studio above the garage. Construction began shortly before I learned about the GF to move my vinyl printer/cutter, heat presses, computer equipment, and inventory out of our dining room. The original plan included extra space for future equipment possibly including a laser engraver in 6 to 8 years. The GF will go along the back wall to vent out the window or possibly directly through the wall. I start moving in next week.

4 Likes

Thats an awesome space. Post some after pics!

1 Like

Nice big space… I especially like the coat-rack made of skis

1 Like

I’m mostly moved into my new office/studio. I’m saving space along the opposite wall for the Glowforge so it can vent out to the back yard.

8 Likes

Me Jelly

Seriously awesome. I would live there. I mean I plan on sleeping with my Glowforge but I think my other tools might get jealous.

1 Like