Post Print Smoke / Smell

You will also want to seal the seams in the fan’s housing. They leak like a sieve. Silicone or acrylic caulk on every seam where 2 pieces of metal come together will do the trick.

Good point! I will do so, thank you very much for your input!

1 Like

So, on the infinity fan, I should caulk the seams inside? Dumb question, I don’t open the fan to do this, correct? Just the seams on the ends? I have 6” to 4” reducers so I should caulk the seams on those definitely.

I’m not sure my Father would want to caulk the foam in the window, this I was thinking of using the tape. I would caulk the seals on the hose and fan reducers tho.

You don’t need to caulk them inside - just cover them with some caulking on the outside. Any place two pieces of metal or plastic come together. On mine there are 2 halves to the shell/housing that could be unscrewed (for assembly or disasssembly). I caulked all of those as well as the connections to the reducers and the seams on the reducer sheetmetal as well. It won’t be pretty but it will keep the smoke & fumes from coming out of the fan in the house and keep it going outside.

1 Like

Thank you, James! My apologies for sounding like an idiot.

Is there a particular brand of caulking that works well, or will any kind do?

Thank you!

Anything works. DAP or Loctite are the primary brands here in CT.

Thank you for your recommendation!

I sealed all of the joints in my ducting with Flex-Seal (yes, that stuff you see in the infomercials). It worked great!

2 Likes

A strip of electrical tape under each of the body clamps will make the seals air-tight without preventing you from opening the fan up to clean it in the future.

1 Like

i use silicon tape on the connectors from the hoses to the fan. that would also work on other seals. just depends on how much leeway you have between layers. thinner gaps the electrical tape would work well with. a thicker gap the silicon tape really works well with.