Practical cuts

Did a projector mount that wasn’t designed for the replacement projector:

https://community.glowforge.com/t/it-died-found-an-old-one-but-things-were-lost?source_topic_id=16019
2 Likes

Oh yeah, I remember this post! Great stuff.

Dental pick tray:

Ply tray, balsa dividers just to see how it would work. I wouldn’t recommend balsa, it’s super for this. If I redid this, I’d make the finger holes bigger, it’s still a bit tough to get the picks out. Learning experience!

15 Likes

OMG that’s some awesome passive aggressiveness :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I know exactly what you’re talking about. Constant neck pain until I wised up and stopped using my glasses with the progressive lenses when at the computer.

Do house numbers count as practical? I think so, because they make it easier for the pizza guy to find us.

40 Likes

Definitely counts. Great font choice, do you know what it was offhand?

1 Like

Yes, of course. One does not simply choose a font, Helvetica chooses you.

25 Likes

Rubber band replacement:

46 Likes

Nice rounding on the corners. Router, sander, or by hand? Tell us your secrets, we must know!

5 Likes

I knew it was perfect. Now I know why.

1 Like

that’s very much on my to-do list. but may not happen until after xmas.

Thanks! The Uno box was made from 1/8" birch plywood and wood glue. I sanded the edges and corners then finished it with some boiled linseed oil.

3 Likes

Fractional drill bit organizer:

28 Likes

Minimalist Ruler. Inspired by these $30 areaware glass rulers that I was lusting after. I used 1/8" proofgrade acrylic and did very light scores at 125/4 to minimize the risk of breaking along the score line and to get a finer mark.

Hard to take pictures of it but you might get a better idea from the SVG preview:

3x4

29 Likes

That’s pretty cool, but I have no idea how to use such a thing. Is there a niche use?

A Nespresso capsule holder… with a nerd touch.

54 Likes

That’s awesome Rodrigo, I was wondering why we hadn’t seen any of your stuff yet! :grinning:

2 Likes

Sorry, I’ve not had much time to play with Highlander, but I’ve done some stuff. I will post them soon

:slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

The first transparent ruler I saw was for marking seams on fabric for sewing. But you can also get similar rulers for drafting, like this one.

It’s really easy to draw margins with this kind of ruler because you just align the marks with the edge of the page and draw the line, like this:

When drawing a lot of panels for comics a transparent ruler is nice too because you can easily size your rectangles and create consistent margins without measuring twice every time.

I also use it for tracing things. Like, in this case, I was trying to copy a feature of a takeout container so I put the ruler on top, took a picture with my phone:
reference
Then placed it in illustrator and sized it using a 1"x1" square as a reference.

So yeah, kind of niche, and very analog but a slight improvement over traditional rulers.

I draw a lot and I also grew up amidst my mother’s drafting supplies before architects had much access to CAD software, and I played a lot with her rulers, there were so many! Now I’m kind of enjoying that I can make my own, like this circle ruler I just cut:

circles

On a deeper level of the ruler rabbit hole, this is the next ruler I want to make, it is based on the Open Structures Grid, which is a set of design guidelines to create modular components. But the answer is getting long so I guess that’s a topic for another post :wink:

40 Likes