Practical cuts

I don’t think it’s boring at all! Stuff like this really tickles me.

4 Likes

A Honey-Do box! great idea! Decoration perfect!

7 Likes

What a great idea. At our home, we frequently forget someone turned the hose on in the pool since it is on the basement level and we can’t see it from the main house. So many times we will realize it the next day.

Need to make something similar so that it will be ‘in our face’. We keep saying we will write ourself a note ‘the next time’ but never do.

5 Likes

A hose timer is just the thing here.

https://www.amazon.com/Watering-Timers/b?ie=UTF8&node=553988

7 Likes

Thanks! Never realized something like this existed.

3 Likes

I wonder if there’s a pool autofiller that is inexpensive, where you can throw the hose in and it’ll turn off when it gets to a preset depth…? I know I’ve seen fancy pools that do that automatically but never seen a standalone product.

1 Like

Would you look at that:

9 Likes

Aren’t you a wealth of knowledge today :slight_smile:

You would think our pool service would have mentioned these gadgets.

3 Likes

Thanks, it’s my monthly useful day. :wink:

Maybe not? I mean anything that automates pool maintenance would seem like something they don’t want you to know about :slight_smile:

That being said, who knows, maybe these valves are terrible and they don’t mention them because they are a waste of money? Caveat emptor!

7 Likes

They work. I had plans to add one to my aquaponic system back before I had a private practice and still had spare daylight hours for playing with such things. :wink:

I also used a more primitive version in my automatic goat-watering setup that kept our goats’ watering trough topped up from the barrel that collected rain from the roof of our storage shed.

1 Like

I mean every western style toilet has this built in, it wouldn’t be too hard to rig up with off the shelf stuff from home depot…

1 Like

Feed stores have them ready to use without having to kludge anything together. Although for a larger trough, a toilet float would be fine. :slight_smile:

1 Like

You’ll be able to have one again in Texas. Keeping the fish warm the three days a year it gets cold is doable. I had an indoor one for a while, but couldn’t keep everything balanced. Not enough volume, especially for a beginner.

2 Likes

Mine is in an outdoor greenhouse. It was awesome when I had it going. I could just break off twigs of things I liked and stick them in the beds, and they’d root and grow. :slight_smile: My housemate / next house owner is super excited about getting it running again.

I used tilapia the first year, then wintered them in the house. I’d probably go with catfish the next time, though.

2 Likes

I started to dabble in aeroponics a few years back. I might need to start up again.

2 Likes

I’d prefer catfish.

2 Likes

Are these fish for eating, or do you have to leave them alone?
Cuz I prefer catfish too - but lightly breaded and sautee’d with some spices - not so much decoratively!

1 Like

They provide the nutrients (fertilizer) in the water for the plants.

1 Like

That sounds like they have to be left alone - or replaced regularly. This habit might get expensive for me :-/

Koi can live for 30 years or more…

Dozens of species work.

2 Likes