Practical cuts

I don’t get why festool does not supply us midi owners with a solution already in the machine.

28 Likes

Pretty sure they’d be willing to sell you something like that for $99.99…

3 Likes

if it works as good- and the quality is as good as the rest of the festool range (and the warranty and service!) I’d buy it for €100

… and that’s why they are still in business! lol…

1 Like

Cupholder design for my Note8+case in our Sienna. Has hole to allow for charge cable.
Not very pretty but the phone is wider then the cupholder and I was tired of it falling on the floor.

14 Likes

Looks nice! :grinning:

1 Like

I have a few things which still display instructions written in marker on the duct tape. (and I do not think this is odd either, so there…)

NICE is for sales.
WORKS is for personal use.

11 Likes

Oh Wow do i need to make this. Note 8 & case and Prius cup holder to not work either.
Does it tilt back some. I guess the bottom pieces are in at an angle.
thanks for the Idea…

1 Like

Yes it does tilt back some.

5 Likes

A perfect picture thanks for posting that gives me what I need to make something just like that

2 Likes

No pictures yet, but I just used the trace function for the first time to cut a template for cutting angled 2x4s to match / join the angle of the stairs that make the ceiling of the closet in my office where Geordi (La Forge) is located. Between the proofgrade materials, the “garage sale” acrylic, and inventibles purchases I have made, there is FAR TOO MUCH stuff stacking up around Geordi, so I am making storage shelves that will go in the closet (under stairwell), and I needed to get an exact match on the angle.

Took an extra piece of remnant Draftboard, lined the top up with one of the stairs (from underneath), and marked the angle of the main board. Dropped that into the forge, ran the trace, cut it, and then used that to mark the 2x4s, and after applying a circular saw… ('casue we don’t yet have the “Glowforge ULTRA”), I have perfectly fitting 2x4s. One more trip to Home Depot for metal braces, and a bit of drilling / anchoring, and I will have several shelves that are deep enough for loads of material lengthwise or depth wise. I do promise pics when done (hopefully later today or tomorrow.)

Best part about this is I will be storing from the stairs down, rather than ground up, so its almost totally “found” (or created) space. nearly all of the “floor storage” will remain intact!

2 Likes

Well, the storage shelves are complete. And I ended up having to cut a piece of draftboard (thick) to serve as a spacer! The best part is that the space was mostly useless space otherwise. Of the three shelves, the lowest is 32+ inches deep, the second is almost 24, and the top one just over 11 inches (though if I wanted to use a slightly larger board, I could gain 1-2 inches).

It provides a great deal of storage as the width is 37 1/8 " wide - so I can easily have three stacks of 12" wide materials across each of the bottom two shelves. I will help keep the materials flat, provides a space for the scraps, and enough space on the top shelf for all the miscellaneous things such as calipers, pins, extra venting tape, Zeiss wipes, and the smaller size proofgrade (and other) materials.

Next step, labeling (or laser-labeling) the shelf slots.

Here are the pics:

2-DSC_0161

And, of course the fire extinquisher is just at arms length - this is about 10 feet from the forge. (I may even be able to store the box under the bottom shelf in the very back, behind the luggage).

As you can see, I’ve been busy buying supplies… :wink:

14 Likes

And making things way neater than anything in my life :grin:

3 Likes

I have a very creative wife, and I get to execute her (excellent) ideas. And MY life just got a lot easier with the Glowforge as a tool!

2 Likes

That is an awesome storage idea under the stairs.
Nice and tidy in one area.

Only thing I would add to it is to make it on a stair or two higher if there was room and eliminate any bending to see into the shelves.

Now I feel sad that my entire house in one floor because I would totally steal this idea otherwise…

edit: Get some cross support on that bending shelf or everything on it will match that warp.

1 Like

I thought it was straight and level, but you are right there is a very slight bend. Probably from what was on that shelf beforehand. I may try turning it upside down tomorrow. That may work by having it warp back the other way. (Thanks, as I didn’t realize it was warped at all).

Couldn’t go any higher as the door in is right at the edge of the shelves as it stands. It’s actually hidden away with a barn door that’s painted the same as the wall, so it’s almost invisible when the door is closed.

13 Likes

wow. Even tidier when see it all…
Good job

2 Likes

Gorgeous.

1 Like

I had a friend who needed a 40 mm spanner for putting together his home brewery. I’m going to take an adjustable just in case, but he can keep this one :smiley:

I’m loving the cross features which help everything align well but also act as cool embellishments. I robbed this idea from this project:
Cartonus Hammer

16 Likes

I then went a bit crazy and wondered how hard it would be to create a ratchet spanner too… Here’s a massive one to test the technique:

https://community.glowforge.com/uploads/short-url/jNXXLxkBXrofdoUyCbaauTjZN5K.mp4![IMG_20180512_112159|666x499](upload://fkBAOJpwPfSYBDWK0Fcfib6y2M9.jpg)![IMG_20180512_112224_001|666x499](upload://p0JVgznFfdVj45OoM13m9VIUPtQ.jpg)

And here’s the finished thing: miniaturised to a 10 mm head and sanded down.

https://community.glowforge.com/uploads/short-url/qNhD8H5i79Oa84CikevusNEAAGW.mp4

42 Likes