Pre-Release | Flashdance

A very thin coating of resin, typically, but
a) you’re looking at the far business end of the clip, facing towards ‘ground’,
b) the chances of hitting is a far slimmer profile,
c) if the bulb of resin concerns you, you can clip it off.

In my limited experience with the epilogue on campus during college I saw more material wasted attempting to use scrap and missing your cut by .5" than scrap used successfully. I just always waited to hit print till I was sure that I liked the way I nested everything to use up everything I could

5 Likes

Theres definitely an art to getting scrap usage right on a laser with no camera. Sometimes its not even worth the trouble lol. But then again I was using a laser that would take 6-8 passes to get through acrylic. bleh

Either way, these are the perfect use for the scrap. Trying to think of a good name. Scrap stands. They look like little guys hanging by their armpits. hmmm

5 Likes

Roykils.

Kind of like Kilroys :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Ive got it! Scrappado

Strappado was a form of torture where theyd hang you by your armpits. Couple that with scrap…

Scrappado

its morbid but whatever lol
they do have a laser whizzing past where their head would be

10 Likes

Acrylic shirts.

1 Like

@karaelena you invented them now you have to name them so we know what to call them :joy:

1 Like

‘stand-offs’

4 Likes

Sorry, that name is already in use. Try again lol

6 Likes

Yes! So simple, yet brilliant. nice job!

The one thing I’ve have noticed that I forgot to mention in the OP is that the motion planning is being worked on. Faster button to go times and engraving strategies. i.e. a raster engrave with two verticals that have dead space in-between, what it use to do was go the full span of the distance to engrave.

ASCII description.

Before

... <dead space> ... 
  ... <dead space> ... 
  ... <dead space> ... 
  ... <dead space> ... 
  <-  head travel   ->

Now

... <dead space> ... 
  ... <dead space> ... 
  ... <dead space> ... 
  ... <dead space> ... 
  <ht>             <ht>

It does one side then move over to the other. Speeds thing up a bit.

Thanks Team Glowforge!

19 Likes

Whoa. Cool. I have gotten in the habit of breaking up my raster engraves into small groups to eliminate the dead space travel. Now I won’t have to! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

That’s fantastic! Such a simple solution. :smile:

hmm… “stand ups”? “pit stands” “raisers” don’t stand-offs typically go “thru” the substrate and then cap off?.. “stand-ins” I got it !!! – “stand-ons” :raised_hands: . Were they cut out of the scrap acrylic ( it seemed like they could have been placed closer to an edge when cut - to save material…) Still very neat idea/project. And from the topic title… “what a feeling…”

1 Like

Dang. You are observant. I so appreciate all the technical things you are doing with the Glowforge. It has been immensely helpful to me.

6 Likes

These look really useful! I’m sure I will be cutting a ton of them when I get my Glowforge.