Pre-Release | You Spin Me Round

That’s cool but the recommended temp for thermoforming acrylic is 325°, you’ll burn it at 450° so please be careful.

1 Like

That’s good to know. I think I remember @karaelena mentioning that the little Black & Decker oven they use was from a thrift store. My experience with those is that the temperature written on the control dial and the temperature inside the oven have very little in common, and only ever match up occasionally by accident.
The oven in my house lies to me about the temp all the time, using a fancy digital display.

6 Likes

While this was true when this oven was stock- This not the case anymore. About a year ago I’ve added an arduino based controller to it with a PID loop. This is mostly due to this oven also moonlighting as a reflow oven. Precise temps are needed at specific points and a controlled cool down in order to get good results.

Also folks, be mindful- I’ve never done this before. I know we live in the age of ‘JFGI’ I didn’t. It was a random experiment with a large doubt of success. And after running that experiment- Now I know and can make adjustments.

9 Likes

Bought a small ceramic kiln 40 years ago that only had on/off, firing temps determined by the cones that reduce @ specific temps.
I installed a $10 oven control, and pyrometer.
The control is a rudimentary time on/ time off, but a little trial and error let me sneak up on the settings I needed for wax burnout of the flask, ramping up to soak @ 1200 degrees and ramping down to casting temperature.
The ability to maintain a specific temperature is remarkably accurate for such a low tech solution.

11 Likes

LOL…after googling what this meant, I had a good chuckle at it’s irony and my initial ignorance in its meaning. I had the JF right (as I was thinking Just Do It), but that didn’t seem to work!

Just Freaking Google It…or some other F word we know :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Very cool! I really like this idea, and can already think of so many other applications. Love the inspiration. Thanks!

1 Like

Same here, I had to google it! :grin:

2 Likes