Pricing Advice

The main difference between our numbers is that I set the ROI for the glowforge at 6 months, which means it pays for itself twice per year. $4k is considerable money but in a business context it is not worth carrying the debt and interest for a year or more. It’s a relatively small amount in context and can be paid off way sooner so actual return can be realized.

The hard part is keeping the laser busy, especially in the start-up stage because most of the time is going to be spent acquiring customers or doing design. There will be only so much time left for business, especially sharing it with a regular job and family. Let’s cut your 500 hours in half to 250, which averages out to 5 hours per week of billable machine time. That still might be tough to achieve but if you do, that fulfills the goal of 2X ROI and puts you into a good position.

For reference, there are industrial laser shops charging $120-$200/hr for machine time on units that literally blow right through stuff in a flash.

If you want a more relatable reference, Ponoko.com has instant online quotes for laser cutting for makers. Last time I poked around there was ages ago and their rates were around the same $45-60/hr mark.

Universal and the other big laser guys recommend $1-$2/minute I believe.

No reason to leave good money on the table and trying to compete with the unwitting hobbyists and knock-offs on Etsy!

6 Likes

So the LPI advice helped a lot. I couldn’t separate the text out since it’s part of the raster since it has a partial gradient to it.

I also noticed my power was low enough that I wasn’t seeing any charring on my mask except for when I was cutting it out. I figured at such a low level of power, my speed was suffering because I had to set it slow enough to burn through the mask. (200/20) So I did a test at full speed with no masking and it turned out fine!

I’m getting coasters engraved at 20min each now which cuts my cost to around $16ea or so. Little better!

Now if I can get the cut time down, we’ll be in business. It currently takes about 10min to cut all 6 coasters which isn’t terrible, but it could always improve. I imagine messing with the LPI on the boxes might help out with time as well…and switching to CA glue for assembly.

2 Likes