Proof Grade (SOLD OUT) too often

Depends on the make and model. Some are a bit more difficult to get to but it’s generally not too complicated. There is also an additive you pour in your tank to clean them. That would probably be my first shot at troubleshooting an injector issue, it couldn’t hurt to clean all of them.

5 Likes

There is definitely an issue with keeping certain things in stock on the GF site and it was there before the pandemic (obviously it’s exacerbated now).

There are a million other places to buy acrylic, so if you’re ever in need of that, browse the forum and you’ll find lots of options.

I would definitely try to find a backup source for whatever wood/ply you use if you rely on it for business. I would do that with any material I require, but in this case, you’re relying on a small specialty supplier who has fluctuating supply and demand. You might have to finish the wood yourself, but at least you won’t find yourself stuck for orders. It’s more work, but it should actually be less expensive, so hopefully it all balances out!

3 Likes

It’s not another company… it’s just us.

I appreciate the problem and I wish we could do better! As you might imagine, there’s compounding challenges right now:

• Our operations team has been working incredible hours to try and keep our factory going. This has required herculean efforts and many late nights. This started early in the year as the virus hit China and has amplified many-fold since then.
  • Ear Savers has turned into a massive project that’s consumed operations team resources as well. The operations team are the experts at finding and sourcing material - they just aren’t able to work on Proofgrade as much as we’d like right now.
  • There’s a global shortage of acrylic as it’s being used to create barriers in working spaces and other crisis-related activities. Generally our acrylic sizes and colors aren’t being used for that, but many of the plants are producing just thick, clear acrylic for that purpose (and thank goodness they are).
  • Suppliers of other materials like wood, leather, and plywood are experiencing their own crises.

I wish I had an optimistic forecast, but it will be a while before we can stabilize production and ensure consistent stock levels.

I’ll move to Everything Else in case folks want to continue discussing there.

–dan

24 Likes

For acrylic if I can’t find the proofgrade materials on Glowforge I order from Delvies Plastics on Etsy. I also found unfinished maple and walnut wood in the 1/8" on Etsy too, but from a different shop that was about $10 per board with free shipping. Now it takes time to stain it, but to me it’s worth it and both shops are in the US. The only thing I haven’t been able to find is the basswood and that’s what I use the most of for both of my businesses.

1 Like

I’m confused, originally proofgrade was shipped from Tenn. and was switched to TX. if I recall, so the model has evolved?

3 Likes

No idea what they may or may not have in your area, and because of local restrictions you may find a closed store or only curbside pickup.
But worth checking if there is one in your area.

Never have seen Proofgrade on their web site, so may have to phone to see what they have in stock, (if not open for browsing in your area).

1 Like

How large were these boards?

They are 11"x18.5" and the shop name is Moth Creative Studio. I just saw they are taking a break for Memorial Day and will be back on Wednesday. I believe they can do custom sizes if you want something bigger.

Dang… $10 for hardwood in that size is impressive.

but it seems reasonable for plywood.

Hmm yeah I should go look. They just be glue ups? Let’s see.

Well it’s hard to say since most of the shop is disabled. I found a page for maple plywood but it was crippled and I couldn’t get specifics. Gonna have to wait until they come back

Or if you look at their reviews you can click on the image and it usually shows you the listing, but it would be unavailable for purchase.

just to clarify, we’re talking plywood here, not hardwood, correct? that’s what I see in their reviews.

Sorry, yes it’s unfinished walnut plywood. It doesn’t look like plywood, especially after it’s stained.

I’ve had to buy acrylic from Amazon (only 12"x12" available) for much of my EarSavers production. I’m up to about 1800 cut, though a couple of hundred were cut from left-over hardwood and hardwood-plywood and about 700 from Proofgrade acrylic. People love the wooden ones, but I’ve furnished lots of acrylic ones to clinics.

Acrylic from Amazon costs about 75% more than Proofgrade, based on area. It cuts fine.

I. too, hope for improved Proofgrade supply availability!

Try one of the other online plastics folks - estreetplastics, BF Plastics or even Grainger.

2 Likes

The next time I’m ready to order, I will check your suggestions.

Thanks.

I found green edge clear acrylic at Home Depot to make the last of 600 plus ear savers. Not that bad of price. Outside of mercy 12 furnace filters sewing masks equal or better than N95.

I believe we switched logistics companies - the folks who warehouse and actually mail it. When I say “It’s just us” I mean that we purchase materials to custom specifications, have them masked and stickered, and hire the companies to do the shipping.

5 Likes

Just adding my voice to this too. I’ve experienced stock level problems ever since getting my Glowforge Plus over a year ago. I can absolutely see how the COVID19 situation is exacerbating things, but I find it very difficult to get what I want.

2 Likes