Prosthetic leg shell

Hi there! That turned out really great!! I am not sure though I understand your first image: it looks like two layers, where you cut out the pattern from the dark material. The finished plastic cover(polypropylene?) has a flat surface though. Was it just an engrave on the plastic where the paint “stuck”?

That is BEAUTIFUL. I’ve got a friend that cheerfully calls herself a peg leg … Mind if I share these pics with her? She was lamenting about how her leg isn’t pretty.

4 Likes

Haha! “Must be Italian!”

1 Like

Totally awesome. Great work and great job!!:rofl:

1 Like

I’m blown away, what an incredible looking prosthetic. I just want to try this for no other purpose than trying this it’s so great. :+1::+1::+1::+1::+1: and :nail_care:

1 Like

It’s a 1/8 inch ABS plastic.

2 Likes

That would be nice. Full disclosure though, I believe it was my fault when using the app. I only moved one of the pieces up while I thought I was moving both.

I understand your confusion with the first pic. What you are seeing there is the masking material that was still adhering to the piece in some places. I peeled all of that off before heat-molding the form. The painting was done after all of that.

Please do share! The possibilities with this are endless. We can upgrade the peg-leg for sure!

1 Like

Wow! So awesome. Thanks for sharing

1 Like

This is my favorite thing on here so far. Good luck with your masters and keep uploading.

1 Like

Great to see this–there aren’t many good options for farings on the market, and those that are on the market are just absurdly expensive.

I worked in prosthetics for 7 years, first as a writer at a trade magazine you’ll surely encounter, then in marketing, communications, and design at two now-defunct startups in the field. If I can do anything to help you commercialize these, don’t hesitate to contact me.

3 Likes

That’s amazing! Thanks for showing all the steps.

1 Like

Thank you! I will certainly holler your direction if and when I need help in that department.

1 Like

I am so excited about that! Thanks for sharing it.

1 Like

This is incredible. As a VA doc, I would love for some of our vets to have beautiful prosthetics like these.

Would this be something we could start a group to do? I’m thinking something similar to the eNable project where we have lots of volunteers worldwide using their 3D printers to make prothetics for folks (mostly kids) who couldn’t get them otherwise.

It could still be commercialized for others so I don’t think we’d be co-opting @garywoffinden’s potential product but I think anything we can do to support wounded vets that doesn’t cost them anything would be a good thing. I’d be glad to help organize as well as donate builds for this based on my work with eNable.

4 Likes

Wow! The molding didn’t change the image much at all, which is cool.