Radial text?

It can work:

Make circle:

Make texts:

Align rotation points to be some set consistent distance from the text objects. Mine are all entered on the text vertically and then aligned on that guide.

Rotate all your texts 90 degrees counterclockwise. (Control-[)

Select all that junk and use these options:

Whoomp, there it is:

Don’t like where they’d ended up? You can change its behavior by rearranging the z-order of your objects before arranging. (This is true of all arrange actions). You’ll probably need to color code them to ensure that you have the order correct, but here you go, I reversed the text order using z-order.

The tiled clone method is a bit easier and more precise if you ask me.

7 Likes

He actually does a pretty poor job when he gets to space but you might get some ideas from this

THere are several places where his results from other tools could use a shot of “space”

I don’t know. I think this works fairly well. Thanks for figuring that out. Not sure why putting it at 90 degrees makes the difference, but this is a great trick to have. Just doing an align and seemed to work. Using the lower left rotation point was what I was looking for.

1 Like

Well for me the tricky part was aligning it carefully to the circle. Some thought could make it work though, getting the placement exactly right. You’re a bit at the mercy of path alignment, and some of the arrange quirks are a little unpredictable at first too. (I only figured out the z-order thing while I was arranging this test. I always wondered how the heck it chose how to arrange things)

I think both techniques probably have their uses, I guess I’m so comfortable with clones that it’s the first thing I’d turn to.

2 Likes

Oh one thing that polar arrangement can do that clones can’t is that you can polar arrange to an ellipse, doesn’t have to be a circle.

You might be able to do it with clever cloning settings but I don’t know how.

2 Likes

I got distracted by this interesting problem and forgot that the original message said you wanted to do this for arbitrary shapes. So this is completely useless, but I made it anyway.

https://goo.gl/krNxWi

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 32 days. New replies are no longer allowed.