Rumors about the Full Spectrum Muse Laser

The “bucket” is INSIDE the Glowforge. Therefore it’s much better.

4 Likes

Welcome, good to have more participation around here.:sunglasses:
Enjoy the forum, there is a lot of creative inspiration to be had!

2 Likes

Well, not exactly a vacuum…

These are from October 2015. No reason to believe that these have changed in the meantime.

6 Likes

I would expect the peltier to have the hot side with heatsink to be very close to the exhaust port so you don’t generate a feedback loop with the waste heat. They aren’t the most efficient of items in terms of power so you’d best make sure the extra heat generated departs.

2 Likes

We know the basic has an aluminium block heat exchanger that transfers the heat to the exhaust air. To improve the cooling performance you would split that in two with the Peltier elements sandwiched between to make the water cooler and the air hotter.

Yes but the temperature of the water in the tube is the critical thing, the temperature in the rest of the Glowforge doesn’t matter much. The exhaust flow is massive, so can easily keep it all reasonable cool.

The tube has to be kept at a temperature not much less than the ambient air. That is why you need the Peltier to increase the temperature difference. The hot side of the heat exchanger gets hotter, so heat is transferred to the air faster.

Yes Peltiers are a lot less energy efficient than conventional refrigeration, but overall energy efficiency is not a big issue here. The exhaust will be hotter than it would be as extra heat is generated by the Peltier, but that goes straight outside anyway. The important thing is the tube is made cooler with very little extra space used up. Also it should be more reliable than a mechanical compressor.

8 Likes

The Basic uses a radiator to cool the closed-loop liquid system; the Pro adds a second, active chiller (the Peltier) that is indeed right before the exhaust.

24 Likes

Can you say roughly how many watts or Btu/hr of cooling the Peltier has?

5 Likes

Gonna depend on ambient temps, no?

1 Like

Not a spec we’ve shared yet.

1 Like

True, but so far as I know commercial units will have some sort of rating, perhaps based on an assumed and stable ambient temperature.

1 Like

Can you say what the rating is to an order of magnitude - say between 10 and 100, or between 100 and 1,000 watts?

I’m asking because folks in other forums have raised the question of how long the GF can run before it needs to shut down to cool, even if that’s just temporary and because I’m wondering how much the GF Pro benefits from the Peltier cooler…

2 Likes

I’ll let you know if and when I have something to share.

4 Likes

@takitus, @karaelena, @marmak3261, have any of you run into an issue with overheating yet? What’s the longest length of time you ran your Glowforge for?

90 minutes at 5% 675lpi 12 minutes at 85%.
Haven’t bumped into it yet.

11 Likes

ambient room temperature? , I would ask before and after but you vent outside so I don’t imagine much of a room change

1 Like

The biggest engrave I did was like 4 hrs long. It didn’t stop or mention anything about heat. It was at night though. No issues with overheating yet.

21 Likes

Unless something turned into a big fire, the heat generated by the GF won’t affect room temp. Maybe in a closet. Karaelena measured power consumption at little over 400W using 90% power. About what a common vacuum cleaner uses.

5 Likes

That’s 1200 btu, and a vacuum in a room for a few hours will warm it up, my gaming computer pulls about 500watts and it can be 15 degrees warmer in that room bs a room on the other side of the house

3 Likes

You seemed to be wondering about temperature change over the time it took to make these cuts, (if he was not venting). I attempted to answer. Short duration, normal size room. You can make the necessary assumptions and do the math.

2 Likes

Same. High power short ops. Low power long ops. Max run was 4 hours. No complaints about thermals.

11 Likes