Rumors about the Full Spectrum Muse Laser

What, Discourse doesn’t give me a “Ditto Post” badge? Lame. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Well, you did make it easier for topic skimmers to catch it in case they missed the original post above :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It’s $5,000 isn’t it? I view it as between the GF basic and the pro based on specs. The pro is now $5,995 with filter.

2 Likes

Their Hobby Laser uses a small aquarium pump in a bucket of water to cool it. They’ll upgrade you to a small offboard refrigerator, which is a good idea since the bucket of water can result in overheating and damage to the tube. It looks like the Muse is the same, as best I can tell.

The Glowforge pump and coolant are tightly integrated with the design. Among the many onboard sensors are both flow and temperature.

That would require service. But those pumps are rated a long time, and are precisely specified for the Glowforge. It is very unlikely it will ever happen.

21 Likes

Do you have specific $$ numbers, or just speculation? Which Universal lasers?

My large format printer dealer lists the Universal VLS230 at $6850 plus tube (price varies based on tube size) and the VLS350 at $8600 plus tube. From what I’m reading above, a fully outfitted Muse would be $7200 including rotary. I haven’t checked tube pricing but that seems to be in the same ballpark.

3 Likes

I’ve been searching around and found:

$5,000 for the base model, $500 for the chiller, $1,000 for the fume extractor, and the rotary and riser combo is the same as the one from the hobby laser, $675

(source: https://www.reddit.com/r/lasercutting/comments/5jtfpy/an_amuseing_ama_with_full_spectrum_laser/)

That’s $6175 for Muse, chiller, base extender, and rotary attachment. Isn’t the Pro $5999 now?

1 Like

Other interesting tidbits from that link:

Regarding the focusing range:

Muse has a more robust slide system that can be adjusted to reach floor level and rotary sized objects with the standard lens.

So that’s a focusing range of what, about 4"? (Instead of the Forge’s 0.5"!)

Regarding aligning future cuts with existing features on material:

Q: What is the accuracy of the camera to the actual laser cut when using it for alignment? For instance if I engrave words using the CNC and then add laser design to the engrave can I assume that using the camera I can properly align the laser to the existing cuts or is it more of a ballpark alignment?

A: fslaser

We use a single camera that takes multiple images of the bed and stitches them together. By doing this, we don’t have any fish eye distortion and have an accuracy of 0.05"

This concerns me:

the base level kit will simply include both the water pump and exhaust fan

I’m reading that to mean that there is no internal fan to push fumes through the duct. An external fan is supplied? This is problematic because the external fans I’ve used (with an Epilog machine) are very leaky and fill the room with fumes.

2 Likes

I asked for more info awhile back. Here is the pricing and options currently. They said if you don’t get the chiller, you will receive a pump instead.

2 Likes

Yes, that seems to agree with what I posted above.

1 Like

Yes but the pre-order was much less. I am only in for $4,849.00 for a pro with filter (including the crazy shipping).

Not sure which one I would go for now at current prices, probably neither, as my reason for purchase has gone and too much money for just hobby use.

3 Likes

I come up at $7175 adding up the prices you listed. I’m not sure what the Glowforge Pro is going for now but I paid less during the initial period. For me, having preordered a Glowforge Pro during the 30 day campaign, I’m happy with my choice. If I decide rotary or greater Z depth is important enough to cancel my Glowforge, I’ll take a closer look at the Muse as well as talk to a Universal dealer. My gut reaction is I would go with the Universal due to expected reliability. I’m looking for a reliable tool to expand my business.

If I was just now looking into laser engravers, I’d look at the Glowforge, the Muse, and Universal. From purely a price standpoint, the Glowforge Pro wouldn’t be looking that good if it is $5999 now but demonstrated ease of use is worth a lot to me, too. I’m not sure where I’d end up. It’s possible I would just wait a few more years that I had planned to do before I discovered the Glowforge.

Everyone’s needs/desires are different.

2 Likes

I wasn’t including the air filter, as I have no need for it. I would vent out the window. So, as I outlined, $6175 for Muse, chiller, base extender, and rotary attachment.

I am on the same boat as you…At the current selling prices I would not purchase the GF since I have no actual business need for it. Justifying a purchase of $4k for basic+filter for something that has limited use is tough… I don’t have that much disposable income :slight_smile:

1 Like

I hope they’re underestimating themselves, because that’s not all that useful unless it’s very repeatably off.

This is an order of magnitude better than what the Forge has been able to demonstrate to date, though.

The $5K base is more like GF’s basic. Their “Pro” version is $6500.

Although they could argue that it’s “worth” the extra $500 to get it now, that works for new sales not for capturing any of the GF’s sold but not delivered I don’t think. Having a year and a half invested already, I don’t think the $500 is as compelling to move because the pre-sale GFs were bought at a discount. Now if they had priced them 50% lower they may well have poached a significant chunk of GF’s pre-sales. On the other hand they’d have difficulty in raising the price significantly later. As it is, they’re only competitive for new sales or the impatient.

That might change with another delay on the GF, but it’s certainly not the kind of bold “gonna steal the business” move I would have expected if they really wanted to stop or even slow the GF.

4 Likes

And it is going to need another order of magnitude to do seamless pass through and doubled sided cuts.

1 Like

Some further discussion on the Muse at Tested:

6 Likes

I agree it’s definitely not a steal your move pricing. While I hate the copy someone else’s exterior design philosophy I like the fact that I now have another option if production models don’t start shipping come March.

3 Likes