Rumors about the Full Spectrum Muse Laser

I’m a bit north of there at Lake Havasu, AZ. People dont grasp the concept of getting goosebumps and chills after getting out of the lake on a 120 degree day. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Actually he has said numerous times they will be shipping at the same time. No delay is planned for Pro units.

4 Likes

One thing that occurs to me is that if you vent outside then the heat generated by the GF will mainly end up outside but with the filter unit it will all end up inside. That will actually heat up a small room like mine. So I think I will definitely see the benefit from the peltier.

3 Likes

Tested made some corrections/clarifications on their Muse vs. Glowforge discussion from last week:

Here

7 Likes

Thanks for the heads up.

They addressed liquid cooling (not water, but a special formulation), air assist/airflow and tube life (8,000 hours).

Nothing about the Muse though.

From the original Test comments about the Muse:

Discussion is about 10 minutes (including comments on the GF :glowforge: )
Muse notes from Norm
2500 hours tube use, 9 pictures stitched together, webserver internal to run the Muse, Beaglebone internal, no filter, addon rotary component, 40w spec (but Norm was told 45w)

1 Like

The peltier will heat up your room more. Waste energy as they are horribly inefficient devices, but usually great for their uses due to no moving parts and small space requirements.

1 Like

Yep…I’m thinking in summer I’ll vent out and in winter use filter (otherwise I will pull in a lot of cold air…all the exhaust air going outside will somewhere need to be made up by fresh air). Workshop has no ac, so don’t want to heat it more in the summer…

1 Like

I spent a summer doing research at Disney World in Orlando one year early in my career. Back then, A/C was an option in cars and mine usually didn’t have that option. That changed post-Orlando - I never knew it was possible to sweat that much. Chicago summers were downright brisk by comparison.

4 Likes

I hope that is still the case. It seems like Pro units should be in some form of test by now if they are going to ship according to the latest schedule. So far as I know there have no reports of the Pro actually being used anywhere.

5 Likes

Correct. No one has publicly fessed up to having a Pro. The reason we’re given is that it wouldnt tell them anything they won’t learn from the Basic until the software is further along to drive the hardware harder.

At one point I read a post that most of the units sold were Pros (more than half) so they can’t afford to delay shipping those.

4 Likes

I cant wait to have a pro. That way I can put my proofgrade in the other way and not have 2" of waste on the edges

11 Likes

curious question to maybe try using cardboard. Since the bed had a bunch of extra room front to back, can you start an engrave that would normally extend into the 2" waste area (so that part doesn’t engrave), then flip the piece 90 degrees so that 2" space is now visible on the bed and complete the engrave?

1 Like

I don’t know if it has that much extra room front to back. To get past the 20" (more or less) you’d need at least 22" front to back, and probably way more because the laser head doesn’t go all the way to the front or back edges of the case. But what you almost certainly could do – putting aside alignment issues for the moment – is do a 180 degree flip so that you get 20" (more or less) wide by something quite a bit more than 11" deep.

1 Like

It wont fit in the machine that way. I have to cut it down on the bandsaw if I want it to fit longways. Its just a question of trying to predict usage of material, and that is hard to do =). So generally I end up just having 2 inches on the edge unused.

2 Likes

Curious then that there has been no news on the Pro. Perhaps @dan would care to comment.

1 Like

It has been “nothing to report” from GF so far. And so far it’s been understandable - since they’re not doing anything with the software yet that is Pro specific. But, finding out that the 45W tube has or doesn’t have the same issue discovered recently with the 40W Basic tube or maybe discovering something about the peltier cooling unit that you’ll never learn from Basic pre-release units might be helpful for them.

Sooner or later the lack of communication about the Pro is going to signal a problem like the parrot that’s toes up in its cage. Doesn’t matter how much the clerk insists that he’s not dead :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Seems to me that we might be getting to that point pretty quickly. GF might already have several Pro units chugging along in their secret basement lab but I’d feel at least a bit better if they would say something to that effect if it is the case.

6 Likes

I suspect they’re still working on the patent. That being said I’m a little concerned that the 3d engrave hasn’t made it to the pre-release units and they publicly released examples that it was working two months ago. We haven’t seen any examples of the pass through software working yet and we’re less than two months out from when the first production units are supposed to start shipping.

4 Likes

Surely, they’ve already applied for a patent on whatever new technology was originally announced for the Pro. If the application has been filed, aren’t they allowed to discuss and demonstrate whatever they like about it?

On the other hand, if they haven’t filed yet perhaps it could mean that they don’t actually have the knowledge, data, algorithms, whatever to support the applicable patent claims. That wouldn’t bode well for Pro delivery on schedule.

7 Likes

depends. there is very little that separates the two machines hardware-wise. a slot should be easy enough to figure out. an upgraded tube - well, as we’ve just seen, they can be problematic…but let’s assume that’s figured out. and the peltier cooling, which is a pretty simple technology.

the software to do the pro-specific features is what will hold things up, which means there’s little reason not to deliver the hardware on time, such as it is, and just leave the software disabled.

4 Likes