Safety concerns from room mates

If they leave the microwave, alarm clock, or cell phone charger plugged in, they have no basis for concern about the laser. I bet they don’t unplug their computer or the TV when they aren’t using it, either?

5 Likes

I had the same problem, then I fixed it

7 Likes

Just to clarify: really room mates who sleep in the same room as you as in your beds are in the same room? If that is the case, I think they have a pretty good point about having a Glowforge in the same room. If they are house mates, the sound might be the biggest issue. Safety shouldn’t be a big deal for a basic and even the Pro really won’t make much a difference the way it is set up.

Fear of the unknown. Best way is to play out the scenarios and see a laser in IRL. I would put this in the same category as a sewing machine. You get used to it.

6 Likes

The very link they sent you says it is the higher power class 3 and 4 that are the problem. Reread paragraphs 6 and 8.

3 Likes

We all have different rooms, and the Glowforge would be in the living room, by a window.

1 Like

“Convincing roommates” is definitely not something we cover in our product support charter. :slight_smile: I think the other folks here will give better advice about that anyway, so I’m going to move this to Beyond the Manual. If you have any specific questions about the Glowforge unit or its operation, please do open another topic in Problems & Support!

9 Likes

I suggest there’s a greater risk of fire from your toaster than there is from the Glowforge. I’ve had mine for 2 months now. Sure, when I first messed with cardboard I got a little scared. But it was nothing a damp paper towel didn’t solve. And that was before I knew what the heck I was doing, and long before the low-power settings existed.

As for off gassing… To be fair, it can really stink for a while. Especially certain materials (entire 1st floor of my house smelled bad for at least an hour after a 2-hour acrylic engrave). But aside from the smell, as long as you’re not cutting any you shouldn’t, you’re fine.

Bottom line is, it sounds like your roommates just suck.

10 Likes

That seems a bit over the top, but probably has some basis in fact.

I’m betting it’s more a case that they had no idea that the laser would smell so strong or sound so noisy when it worked, and are just now finding out… so rather than make a noise or smell complaint to @stoffel21, they’re making it all about safety issues.

In other words… noise or smell = their personal sensitivity to a factor.
Lack of concern for their safety = you problem - you heartless monster! I’m not just thinking about my safety, I’m thinking about the other room mates you’re putting in danger here! AMIRIGHTGUYS?

8 Likes

i agree, this is what i thought of, too.

i’d work to only use it when they’re not around for a while, and i’d be sure to make them some ridiculous but fun signs and things to hang on their doors to get them in the mood, then have them make a request. i bet you’ll be able to win them over eventually.

3 Likes

My K40 caught fire once, cutting cardboard, no air assist. I know the Glowforge is a lot safer, but I still wouldn’t leave it alone.

1 Like

agree, i don’t think it’s as safe as a real laser printer at all. while i’m sure it’s happened somewhere, i’ve never heard of someone printing 300 pages, walking off, and coming back to prints that are starting to burn.

with that said i don’t think it’s particularly dangerous, either, as long as pay attention. but as you intimate, don’t leave it alone, and there aren’t any problems you can’t fix.

1 Like

Well he did saw that he would not leave it unattended and yes cardboard does flare up without proper settings.

As much as it is tempting to get a K40 machine, after following the Facebook K40 group, I am not sure if I would ever want the headaches and heartaches that I have seen people go through.

1 Like

In all seriousness and this is not a dig. Are they the kind of people that find issue in most things (example. in the state oft California this is know to cause cancer in reference to a shoe lace, or don’t cook with Teflon, or campfires will kill you by sitting next to them or never go in the sun ever, or any other scenario that most people would be fine with but they get overwhelmed by)? Or is this a rarity for them to find issue. If its the former you may not be successful no matter what data you give them. If the later then it should be a easy demo and manual and intelligent discussion

5 Likes

If they’re uncomfortable with it, I don’t think you’re going to convince them otherwise. That said, I’m curious what the laws surrounding this would be. It probably varies a lot depending on your state, but I would assume they don’t have much grounds for complaint based on the safety concerns alone. They could probably get somewhere if they complained about smells or noise.

Were they aware you were getting a laser cutter? Did you discuss it?

It is only slightly more dangerous as it is actually designed to cut with the laser, but that is also fully enclosed and on a completely metal surface. In all practically, a regular laser printer, or any other electronic device, is just as dangerous as all of them have the risk, especially if unattended, of causing a fire. The list includes, but is not limited to, toasters, microwaves, computers, TVs, DVD players, alarm clocks, desk/table/floor lamps, light fixtures, cell phone chargers, laser printers, inkjet printers, 3D printers, dishwashers, garbage disposals, etc. If it plugs into the wall, it starts with the same basic risk of burning your place down if unattended. Some things, like toasters or space heaters with hot elements, do add some additional risk if unattended, but they all have pretty much the same risk of burning the place down attended, and that is because you are there to stop the fire if it does start.

From the fire direction, there is no valid rationale for anyone that does not unplug everything (including the furnace or A/C) when they leave the room to protest to a Glowforge. The effective risk is the same.

2 Likes

and yet i don’t think many laser printer companies have a warning on their website that following these projects may lead to your death.

Maybe the others don’t care if you croak. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Well, off-gassing risks are different, among other things. If you don’t operate a normal laser printer as designed, there is a lot less catastrophic potential, mostly breaking your printer and voiding your warranty. If you try to color outside the lines too far with a laser cutter, it can create toxic gases, among other things. (Disable safeties and stick your hand in, laser burns would be worse, probably, than pinched fingers, though your necktie can kill you with a standard laser printer.)

2 Likes

i am in the “it’s not crazy dangerous, but it’s a lot more dangerous than most of the examples people give” camp.

even the stove/oven/microwave are reasonably safe to walk away from, as long as you don’t ignore it for too long. you really need to pay attention to a laser cutter, even if you do everything right.

3 Likes

I’m in the “stoves are a hell of a lot more dangerous” camp.

The only fire I ever set in the house was one that occurred making popcorn. (I pop it in a pot with oil - stove-top, and hubs came home right after I turned on the burner and I completely forgot about it, and went out to help him unload the truck. Flames shot up about 3 feet and set fire to the decorative bundles of herbs and flowers that i had hanging on a drying rack over the stove-top. The fire extinguisher powder creates one heck of a mess that you will spend days getting out of the vents of your refrigerator. Not to mention, your popcorn just gets ruined.)

This laser (in my opinion) is safer than that. If a fire were to occur, it’s enclosed in a heavy metal lined case with a glass top, and all you have to do to shut it off is lift the lid for a fraction of a second. It shuts off. (Done it several times to kill prints that weren’t going the way I wanted them to.)

It’s got air assist that keeps the flames from getting too large to begin with. You just have to be careful to watch really combustible materials like paper, cardboard and foam core - they don’t provide a lot of fuel, but they can catch more easily, so you use less power and a faster speed to cut them. The longer you leave the beam in contact with a material, the more material is ablated.

Where was I? Oh yeah, NEVER ever store drying herbs on a rack over your stove. :roll_eyes:

13 Likes