Schedule update (December '16)

Great points! Though I’ll add the crowdfunding model of funding and supporter-buyer engagement is changing traditional expectations —driven partially through the challenge that crowdfunding usually sets the expectations as imminent product buyer more than a missional investor.

Assumptions have thus changed about who is a stakeholder and their resulting communication relationships. Paid customers have a level of urgency and legitimacy that requires careful balance because individually the buy-in power may only seem what it is: $3k–$5k/person. But greater influence power can be mobilized through a brand community, cross-comms and influencership that turns them into a dangerous constituency notwithstanding they are not VC shareholders.

2 Likes

Well said. I have recently had the opportunity to work on a project that was still in development. Very different from plain production and what you said is spot on. Most folks don’t realize these things as they have never gone through it.

1 Like

I think what @scottmillersb wants is something more in the way of assurances than what was present in the verbiage of the last 3 delays - I know that the way @dan communicates is not what I would prefer, but continuing on the same path of “trust me, this time 6+ months of delay is really where we will ship” without anything but his word (which doesn’t count for much when it comes to schedule) is just not working.

No one needs to get a detailed timeline. In any schedule there are certain milestones that would make everyone feel good about things. For example, this round of beta units is probably using soft molds for the plastics to finalize details. If that is the case, the hard tooling is a major milestone - Share when that is planned to complete.

That was just one example. Now, @dan has not wanted to do that in the past, and unfortunately I am not sure he will do this moving forward. I believe there are other things that can be done. I think like me, several other customers don’t want to get shiny marketing videos. The crummy quality maker faire videos were awesome. Lets have more of those. Put the cell phone on an engrave piece. Show us the nice medallion engraving - Other forum members keep making excuses as to why that can’t be done (takes to look to post process, they have to focus on shipping,etc).

I know I am hanging around a few more days to give the team an opportunity to communicate how they plan on getting us assurances that 7 more months of wait will actually get people an unit. I don’t know what that will look like, but I do know that what they have done over the last 12 months has not been sufficient.

@dan has mentioned that he does plan to continue a monthly update. That to me would be sufficient (as long as he himself admitted, there arent 3-4 months of silence from the company). GIve us something concrete in those updates (like a home made video of functionality), and that will go a long way.

There are 11 beta testers right now. Maybe one of them will be kind enough to do a 3D engrave of the Glowforge medallion and post it? They can certainly help on that regard in showing those of us without a unit some of the things that everyone wants to see.

2 Likes

Beta testers aren’t allowed to take requests. Pre-productions testes are though! @marmak3261?

5 Likes

They aren’t allowed to take requests. That doesnt mean they don’t want to or will do one.

2 Likes

lolling.

8 Likes

Hi there! Hello! Yet another normal forum user, here, to make some excuses. :grin: (supposed to be in good humor, but I can’t always tell how I come across)

I don’t really think this is always as simple as people think. There are tons of things that Dan and the Glowforge team have to take into consideration when anything goes public. One example of this that I can think of off the top of my head is when Dan almost named a problematic part on the live Q&A that could have caused problems with their relationship with the part provider. Had he done so and people knew that Manufacturer X (Acme, I think they used in the video) made the defective part, they would take that as slander. I think it is the same, to a certain extent, with things like pictures and video. For instance, they may not have finalized the software part of 3D engraving but have gotten to the point where the hardware can make it happen using complicated and inefficient methods. So, it’s just a matter of finishing software, but you put out a video of some wacky laser head dancing weirdly around above a piece of wood to complete the engrave and everybody adds that to their feelings about Glowforge and future potential investors or customers question the company’s abilities based just on that video rather than the whole story. I can’t wait for more videos, pictures, and information. All I’m saying is that I don’t think it’s that simple. (Also, even the way Dan has to word excuses about not being able to get it done is probably not that simple. Some of that may just be his personality, though.)

5 Likes

Oh my, that’s what I get for typing on my phone.

4 Likes

I just went out to buy a bigger Hopper™ for myself. Wait just a tad. I’ll give folks an opportunity to contribute, share, and enjoy!

9 Likes

Vote of no confidence in @dan

If you really feel that way, you should probably ask for a refund, then, since leaving your money involved is pretty explicitly a vote of support.

4 Likes

I feel bad for the people that received a credit when I used their referral code.

According to the cancelation information they will also loose their credit for referring me.

I don’t remember what member’s referral code I used but sorry bro you are out $100.00.

Your referral payment, and the payments of anyone who referred you, will be cancelled

Each time you refer someone else who buys a Glowforge, you get another $100 added to the total referral payment you’ll get when your order ships. Cancellation will permanently delete any and all referral payment.

If you purchased with a friend’s referral code, you lose that discount and their referral payment is deleted as well when you cancel.

I am voting with my money and have no confidence in Dan’s ability to turn this around in any significant way. At some point I do believe that Glowforge unit will ship but under Dan’s stewardship I think the product will suffer and will ultimately be sold to another company that can produce a mature product.

I’ll give you another year, but that’s it!

3 Likes

I am so incredibly angry and frustrated right now. Dan has already done 80% of what we asked and didn’t get sent to the community. Information on pre-release units

I have reached the facepalm stage with my incredulity over @Dan and his communication.

Pages and pages of detailed information that wasn’t mentioned in the last couple days…

If @Dan and his team already had this, why can’t they keep it up to date every week or two?

I apologize if the points I’m about to make where already brought up.

After the June deadline was missed, and I read that the GF team had landed more VC funding, and that now they were able to ship more beta units, I said that they were cutting it too close for a December shipping (not enough time to gather feedback to correct any design problems, especially when certain problems don’t manifest themselves until the GF is used for extended periods of time). I, too have worked in product design and manufacturing, so I appreciate all the stuff and surprises that could come up before a product is fully tested and set in stone. That’s just testing and design, manufacturing also has its own quirks and surprises working to delay product release. Don’t forget the constant battle between the marketing and engineering and production teams. Each having their own priorities and realities.

Can you imagine the (prohibitive) cost to recall and repair hundreds of machines after squeezing them through too prematurely? I just hope that the team can fine tune their time predictions and promises a little better.

Understanding all this, I do appreciate @dan 's position and what he has to deal with. I do however have some questions:

1. Is there a thread discussing some installation, safety requirements, etc., so that we can prepare the proper space for our machine when it arrives? For example, if I vent to a window (building a panel and an exhaust port in it, that fits under the window, like a window A/C unit), should I add a 4" fan to push the exhaust fumes out, or is that not necessary, maybe due to the fan(?) on the back of the GF?

2. Do I or any family member or friend absolutely need to wear laser safety glasses (and what type for the pro model) while the GF is working with the cover secured in the closed position?

These are my only questions for now, and if I have more I will use the “ask @dan” thread that he mentioned in his latest update or somewhere else on the forum.

Thanks

3 Likes

yes we have various threads but I will speed ball some info for you
you only need a pusher fan if you exceed the default hose length
you only need glasses if you have the pro the basic is class one and does not need glasses
all entry to the device has interlocks if it is opened the laser turns off
there is a hard toggle button for power on the back as well

3 Likes

Thanks for your reply. I know that you need safety glasses for the pro and not the basic. To clarify my question: Are glasses recommended in case laser beams leak through the long-work-piece ports, or do they most certainly leak, regardless of the closed top door? If that is so, what type (make, model) of safety glasses are recommended? I would not want to skimp and buy some eBay item that would jeopardize my safety or that of other observers.

ya so there is a few threads about glasses, but its for the pass through slot

I did not order the pro so I have done zero looking to into goggles but you should be able to poke around the forum and find a few threads. I know the other day someone posted a few amazon links I just don’t recall the name of the thread and with some many new topics created yesterday I’m finding it tough to find it at the moment

I found my pair on Amazon (and I don’t need them with the Basic)…just look for CO2 laser goggles. (10600 nm)

They come in a range of prices and have some for over-glasses and whatnot. (try to get a pair with side protection.)

3 Likes