Scientific inventions, new tech ideas, etc

Do you know what the material was? I should know, but, alas, I don’t.

1 Like

The firefighters called it Slurry.

Photos from later that day:

4 Likes

The stuff I am working on would be like the chars from those July 4th snake pellets, only the char would hold together better.

2 Likes

Please do!

3 Likes

Malaria
Water supplies in developing areas
Better mental health intervention at every stage of development
Literacy for all

8 Likes

My son-in-law’s cousin builds custom specialty camera platforms and was the main camera guy in charge of filming the Orion’s reentry into the Gulf of Mexico, maybe a couple years ago. I hope I’ve got the story straight, here. But, he’s been doing platform and camera work a lot for this type of thing.

5 Likes

That sounds really cool. He did a great job, I’ve seen that footage more than once. Orion EFT-1 came down perfectly too, so he didn’t have to go searching: she was right were expected.

It was Pacific Ocean just off San Diego, December 5, 2014 but I won’t tell anybody :slight_smile:

7 Likes

All very worthy goals. I wrote both the Obama administration and the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation about a proposal to kill malaria with nitric oxide donor compounds, specifically nitrosoglutathione. Others had shown its efficacy, my contribution was in developing a way to safely treat millions of people with a novel treatment method. I was very dismayed at getting zero response from either. Kind of makes my conspiracy theorist side rile up. I have been working on the use of hydroxyl radicals from UV + water + anatase TiO2 to develop low cost portable water treatment devices. I will be exploring the use of the same tech in disintegrating Glowforge fumes.

5 Likes

Not quite the same, but we got one of these. They’ve optimized for lifetime, but I bet you could optimize for glow if you didn’t mind the carnage.

4 Likes

bioluminescence is so cool. The first time I went running down a particular beach at night and saw glowing “power bursts” each time my feet hit the sand… wow unreal!
I had to ask my friend if they could see them too.
They could, it was real.

4 Likes

I’m wondering when medium-size mobile bots will become cheap and easy enough to just use. They ought to be simpler than consumer drones, but I guess they don’t have the pizzazz. (Or maybe they’re not simpler – more interaction with the physical world.)

1 Like

At sea the water is very clear, I used to watch the sparks of bio luminescence stimulated by the radome on the bow of Enterprise 30 feet deep. In the Caribbean on a night dive you shake your hand in front of you and watch the blue sparks.
Going back to Cozumel in May, looking forward to seeing it again.

never saw it in the sand, how cool!
“Please tell me you see that too…?”

8 Likes

Only the bright ones.

1 Like

After literacy for all, access to information…

Check out the Outernet. It’s a project to give remote areas access to more information, the kind of stuff we take for granted.

5 Likes

Well, I do appreciate the correct info. That makes more sense anyway, as he’s in the Navy reserve and does a lot of work like that for the military. It just goes to show ya…he’s been my handy man around our house here many times and when not away on a project, lives out on our daughter and family’s farm. Who would have known or even guessed his Clark Kent side!

I’ve saved a couple of his shots; The Orion? I assume; his date Dec.7, 2014

And this other a random shot using his huge camera equipment…and his foot, bottom right.

17 Likes

I like it! Makes me want to break open a Daniel Suarez or PKD book.

2 Likes

Yes, that is the Orion EFT-1 crew module. She performed wonderfully and gave us a wealth of information that has influenced future builds.

Now I have new shutter release goals for my cameras from the second photo.

Thanks for sharing

5 Likes

I might be able to create a grid on a piece of Proofgrade maple and put very small (0.0001 g) samples of my candidate char forming materials on that grid to test them. Watching a video of it while a defocused beam scans the grid might provide useful info as to which are most effective.

3 Likes

Might be cool to scan and print the leaves of trees on the corresponding Proofgrade products. Of course, an acrylic tree leaf might be hard to find. Lol

5 Likes

Plastic products could be marked with dinosaurs?

6 Likes