Scrabble: The reason I backed the Glowforge campaign 5 years ago

I grew up playing Scrabble with my family, and love the game. When I discovered the Glowforge campaign back in 2015, I had an idea for a custom Scrabble board made entirely from high end materials like hardwood.

It wasn’t until this year that I had a shop with the rest of the tools I needed, along with enough time, to make this a reality.

!

This will be a Christmas gift for my parents. The structure of the board is baltic birch plywood. The lattice for the grid is walnut vaneer, the tiles are maple vaneer, the scoring multipliers are mahogany, cherry, and walnut. Letters are maple. All in all this tool about 8 weeks to design, cut, assemble, and finish.

The board features a drawer for the tile holders, a rotating base, and the entire structure is veneered in walnut.

Edit: In case anyone wanted to source similar materials, I bought all of the wood at Rockler. The grid was cut from 5" wide, 1/8" thick walnut, the game tiles were from the same but in Maple. The board squares were from 1/16" veneer packs, which were less delicate than the standard >1/32" veneers.

78 Likes

Posted before the edit saved, a few of the photos and details just uploaded.

2 Likes

Beautiful! I think we all had those ideal projects in mind when we backed them so many years ago. (Mine is still in the works…but I’ve found plenty of other things to make in the meantime!)

4 Likes

A few more photos:

34 Likes

That will make a fantastic gift! Gorgeous! :slightly_smiling_face:

7 Likes

That is a really beautiful project. I love using the laser as a tool to use with the rest of my woodworking shop.

7 Likes

Absolutely stunning! Thanks for sharing!

5 Likes

Yeah that really turned out nice. What a great gift.

6 Likes

Just saw this! New GF owner here. That is stunning. Great workmanship!

7 Likes

Amazing!

6 Likes

Heirloom quality!
@marmak3261 did one where he sharpened his inlay skill doing the letter tiles in contrasting woods.
Black Walnut has always been a favorite of mine. Thank you for showing that great work!

10 Likes

Outstanding. The drawers are great, and everything looks fantastic. The rotating base is a nice touch as well.

8 Likes

That’s gorgeous. I need to get my board onto a base like this. Very fine work for sure.

10 Likes

Excellent execution, and nice touches with the drawer and turning base. My best friend is a Scrabble player, I should do something like this for her. (Hope it doesn’t take 5yrs, though!) I’m in love with your work.

7 Likes

Your parents will love this, and their friends will want one as well. Beautifully executed.

5 Likes

Your woodworking skills are top notch. Love the woods that you chose and the way you made the grid for the board. Beautiful job and something that will be treasured for a long time. :blush:

6 Likes

Nice! I love the walnut frame. Well done.

5 Likes

Wow, thats beautiful!

5 Likes

Outfrigginstanding! I’m not a scrabble fan, but I want to play on that board for real! Nice work.

6 Likes

That is absolutely incredible. Amazing job.

3 Likes