Scrap Ideas?

I especially keep PG stuff…again, like @tjones said, if i can cut an earring, i’m keeping it.

6 Likes

Fridge magnets.

Any small design, and then glue one or two 10-cent neodymium disc magnets on the back.

11 Likes

I have a hard time getting any glue to keep the magnets on, even if I rough up the magnet surface beforehand. I have tried Gorilla Wood Glue and a couple of types of Super Glue (CA?)

3 Likes

I sand my magnets and use plain old wood glue. Seems to hold really well.

3 Likes

I used CA glue (super glue) and it seems to work fine… some of the homemade magnets on my fridge are a couple years old.

4 Likes

I’m partial to Gorilla brand gel super glue, myself.

4 Likes

I engrave a pocket for the magnet a hundredth or so undersized and press the magnet in, no glue needed.

5 Likes

I’ve devoted this evening to getting rid of some of my scrap wood.

I have about 100 sheets of 1/8" maple plywood that I cut two 8x8" signs out of, leaving a 3-4" strip of unused wood on each sheet.

I’m turning those strips into wooden flowers. Scored and cut, no engraving. I can fit 50 on each 4" strip. Bagging them up in 100 packs to sell as a craft supply.

7 Likes

I have a drawer of that stuff and find a lot of what I need in it. :wink:

Also an Amazon box with larger pieces. I don’t break into another sheet until I search through the remnants.
Good idea for the scrap!

5 Likes

If I can pare it down to fit in a drawer that’d be great. I already filled half my garbage can with scrap draftboard, but still have this left… I’d estimate about 200 partially used 12x20 sheets of maple and walnut plywood. There’s also several boxes full of acrylic scrap underneath the table out of frame.

7 Likes

and here I thought you had a cool record collection

:slight_smile:

2 Likes

Oh, Yeah. I have a box for the acrylic too. Your material stash is magnificent.

3 Likes

What a great idea to sell them in packs!

3 Likes

I turn them into key chains like this and donate them to my local dog rescue. They sell them at their adoption events and get to keep all profits.

6 Likes

And then there are the tiny pieces that fall out of intricate designs. I have this bunch of little curlicues that have been sitting on my GF for 6 months now. I had just about gotten myself to the point of tossing them into the trash when a few of them magically rearranged themselves into a shape that sparked design ideas in my brain, and now I have to let them stay there for a while longer in case they have any more things to show me. sigh

9 Likes

I think it likely those graceful bits could find a home as an embellishment on a wide variety of projects!

I have found myself fiddling with a pile of matching remnants looking for inspiration in the chaos.

2 Likes

how about a horoscope clock?

2 Likes

if you took a scroll saw to most of these you would have a canister of small stuff and some sticks and a few rulers. :grin: Storing mostly air takes up far more room!

1 Like

Fire fodder :grin:

2 Likes