Scratching that itch

I agree with @jamesdhatch.

The k40 forums are a pretty hilarious mix of “Dont touch it, it will KILL YOU” and “Naw, just lick it” The reasonable answer is somewhere in between. With a little common sense you’ll be just fine.

I can also attest to the quality of these little guys. If you run it within its limits (slow) they work just fine. I get good crisp edges and minimal smoke. My set up time is probably 500% more than a GF because the software is AWFUL and it has no Z, so i just end up shimming whatever material i am cutting.

Lastly, if you like moding. The k40 is awesome. I have probably spent as much time adding features to it, as i use it to cut. haha. just in this last week i have added internal LED lights, and plumed a really ghetto air assist.

4 Likes

It’s driving me nuts waiting. I’ve got to get a project going. Thought garden would keep me busy but it was too dry to plant at the farm and now too wet. Working on designs. Part of it is being cooped up over Independence Day weekend with rain for four days. Decided to tear apart for salvage an old laser printer I had. Nice DC motor and one good stepper. Some strips of LEDs that might work in combo with the diffusers and mirror. Got to the laser diode board but since it is a low power IR not much use. But it does scratch the itch. The fun thing is the crazy fast whirling prism that does 28,000 rpm. The fuser bulb is big. Interesting heat source. I did a scanner lamp scavenge once and it made a very bright wand. Good cooler fan. Lots of gears, switches and sensors. Will have to keep an eye out for a big photocopier. Might be able to get the bigger steppers I need to play with a Dremel CNC build.

14 Likes

Love it. My extended family has instructions not to dispose of anything that moves paper, printers, copiers even shredders etc. I take them and salvage useful bits, part of the appeal of a GF is the opportunity to create precision cut parts to “join” all the salvage into useful items.

2 Likes

I thought I recognized those guts! That spinning reflector was my favorite too. I had no idea it did that kind of RPM!
The fuser bulb is 400w!
My favorite evisceration for salvage was an old photocopy machine, so packed with components it took me all afternoon! The deeper I went the more surprises I found.
“That is the cutest roller chain I ever saw…” :kissing:

3 Likes

Nice @marmak3261 fun stuff me likey !

So I saw this thing and thought about all you folks out there scavenging old electronics…

7 Likes

Oh man, that is just amazing. I’ve kind have been doing that for the past few weeks. Our church just got a new three manual digital organ. It is absolutely amazing. So between the 50 stops times 5 totally different sound menus, plus all the midi instruments, it’s got some serious variety going on. One of the subsystems runs Ubuntu. I’ve been analyzing how it records and plays back so I can program in the music without having anyone needing to sit down for hours playing and getting it right. Figured out how the manuals all fit with the channels, but I can’t for the life of me find in the midi file where it records the piston presses or draw knob pulls to change the registration. I can record them, and use them by inserting measures in between where I press the pistons or draw a knob, but I’m still stuck on this. So for the time being I have to manually switch registrations, easy enough or use different staffs for the manuals. It’s been fun. I’d love to be able to hack the USB slot so I can do a direct connection with the recorder/playback, but this is where the DMCA and warranties kick in. We own the organ, but don’t have the right know how it does what it does.

6 Likes