Settings for 1/8 Baltic birch engraving (and cutting)

fantastic! thank you so much for sharing your settings - and print time!

Isn’t the Baltic Birch ply amazing?! I am using it for the back of my Wall Art Tiles now. I am super fortunate enough to live 15 miles from Cherokee Wood, so when I ran out of PG Draftboard and needed a local fast substitute I found those guys.

1 Like

It’s my new go-to material for engraves! Coupled with denatured alcohol cleanup, it saves me from masking and weeding as well. I’m so stoked!

I seem to be asking so many questions these days… When using denatured alcohol to clean, are you mostly just wetting a scrub brush and rubbing it, or a cloth, or is there more to it? I’m assuming its a brush just to mitigate the mess?

Also, am I wrong in assuming that Methyl Hydrate will work just as well? DNA is hard to find in Canada now for some reason, but this seems to be about the same thing…

@forhorsman I pour DNA into a large tray and soak the engraved birch ply in it for a few minutes. Then, I work a soft brush over the piece. I remove it and dry with a microfiber cloth. Repeat if necessary until the desired look is achieved.

Methyl hydrate is also known as methanol. Since DNA is a mixture of methanol and ethanol, I don’t see why using straight methanol would be an issue.

5 Likes

Thanks!

Stunning.

1 Like

Looks great! What is the best setting you have found to cut a 1/8 birch plywood? I keep getting the sides scorched

I put my cut settings in the very first post. 220/full/1x on a pro.

2 Likes

I tried 180/100 and it worked really well. It cut through and left no charring on the edges. But mine is not a pro

1 Like

The settings are compatible between the two machine between 1-100 power; only full power differs.

2 Likes

Wow!!

mine isnt offering varied power any idea why? Thanks

Vary power applies to raster engraves. If you’re engraving vector shapes it’s not an option.

Also if you’re using proofgrade materials it’s called “3d engrave”.

2 Likes