Shopping around for Wood.. Make sure you check local options!

Good to hear!!

I’ll add them to my list of potential suppliers!!

1 Like

Here it is after weeding. No issues and everything came out great. If I find any issues with the wood I’ll post back here.

4 Likes

I have had that problem. This is Home Depot “Baltic Birch”!

I have cut a lot of Oak plywood and while there is some filler it is not nearly so laser proof.

2 Likes

Guessing that is the waterproof glue? Look like nothing can get through that except maybe a saw blade. I’ve noticed the Amazon BB that I bought had red glue in it when I pulled it apart.

I got to thinking that if a nuclear bomb hit there would still be that filler lying about in the ashes :crazy_face:

4 Likes

@Bigjohn

Atlanta Glowforgers, got any material sources to share?

1 Like

Here is a little less than half of the wood I cut, or roughly about $40 worth.

2 Likes

Here is a finished product. Just listed on my Etsy Shop for $25. (I haven’t had much luck selling through Etsy yet! Hoping this sells). I’ve sold a lot of these through twitter and at a craft show.

4 Likes

Home Depot doesn’t normally sell Baltic Birch. They do sell Birch plywood. You might be able to get them to special order Baltic Birch but if you do that you might as well use one of the sources of real Baltic Birch that are posted here and order it yourself.

1 Like

As a newbie I asked for Baltic Birch and was sold plycarp as Baltic Birch. A mistake I will not make a second time.

I am very much impressed with your stand :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Yeah - the guy hears “birch”. They don’t really know wood. They’re good for what they do but for this you need either a craftsman’s wood store or some other wood working oriented supplier. BB is made for cabinetmakers which is also one reason it’s oddly sized (60") vs what we’re used to in the 4x8 world.

Lots of good suppliers online and Woodcraft or Rockler have stores around a lot of places.

1 Like

Nice. Cutting it down like that should likely give you a pretty good set of samples of the core to have an idea of what you’re dealing with!

1 Like

I bought the stand as a template. I am working on some of my own designs as well, but this has been a great way for me to get started. Here is where I got the stand. Not a bad deal for $4!

1 Like

They list one in Milford. Is it not there any more?

I missed that one. I hate it when they list stores by city rather than state. Easy to miss CT hanging off the end.

I’ll have to give it a look next time I’m down there.

1 Like

Not sure where you are in CT. the Stoughton one might be closer, especially if you’re on an IKEA run… :wink:

1 Like

North Central CT. But Milford has the Ikea really close in New Haven. Stoughton is a hike.

And New Haven has Wooster Street :blush:

1 Like

Where I live, there’s nothing. I envy you all. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Usually just a matter of how far. Google Maps can help, here you need a car to get groceries, but several are within an hours drive. Hardware stores also have some Revell woods (Revell Mahogany is very flammable so avoid) and hobby stores also.

1 Like