Show and Tell

Wow! That is an absolutely stunning transformation! :smiley:

6 Likes

And another one! It’s amazing the difference a little updating can make! :smiley:

4 Likes

Huge task to redo a kitchen. Heart of a home, but the result makes living in a construction zone for a while worth it!

I never have the presence of mind to take ‘before’ pics, my head full of visions of the goal and blinders on.
Well done job on both, thanks for sharing the results!

5 Likes

I finally have something to share in here!

As part of finishing the basement I’ve moved my office from the upstairs. We’re doing a big room shuffle since we just had our second kid - office and TV move from the two upstairs to the basement, our bedroom moves upstairs, and the oldest kid takes over our room so his sister can have his room. First step in that, of course, is getting TV and office moved, which finally happened.

We wanted this room to double as a guest room (which the upstairs TV room used to do), but we quickly realized that the ideal arrangement wouldn’t leave enough room for a pull out bed and a regular desk. When then bed is pulled out there wouldn’t be enough room to walk around the foot.

So I designed and built a shelf with a drop leaf desk underneath it that can be lowered when the bed is pulled out. The wall-mounted monitor doubles as a TV w/ a Roku stick plugged in to one of the HDMI ports. I’m hoping to find a universal remote that can control the mini amp and the Roku, but since the Roku is wifi controlled the only options are fairly expensive Harmony remotes.

The shelves are zebrawood, the desk top is oak boards. I sealed them all with poly but didn’t stain anything. The brackets are steel. I’ve just started learning to weld and I’m not great at it yet, but it’s a super fun skill to practice. The hinges are from Rockler and should hold a few hundred pounds easily.

I officially started working down here yesterday. Now I need to finish clearing out everything in the old office and paint the walls so I can assemble the crib up there.

Also - I have used a standing desk for the past 5 years, so this is built at standing height. Keyboard tray and wall mounted monitor let me make any necessary adjustments for comfort. My old motorized standing desk is probably going to take up one end of my workshop (which is also on the list of projects) with a cutting mat on top.

41 Likes

Nice!
Did you install the utilities in the wall and the lights? Never saw an in wall conduit like that. Can’t tell from the pic, are the 4 connections​ for network?

Nice woodwork, and beefy hardware! Thanks for sharing the household evolution :sunglasses:

I ran all of the low-voltage when we finished the basement. I didn’t do the lights or electrical, other than picking locations. Electrical work makes me anxious, and with the timeline we had for getting things done I decided there would be better times to learn electrical.

The in-wall conduit is just a nicely sized (about 6 inches) gap between two studs that was perfectly located. I’ve got low voltage boxes in it on top, bottom, and at keyboard height. Top and bottom have https://www.monoprice.com/Product?p_id=3997 as wall plates. Middle doesn’t have a plate yet, but will have a brush plate like https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=21629 soon.

There are 4 network connections in the room. I went way over the top when running ethernet around the house, since this was pretty much the only chance I was going to have. 4 Cat 6 runs per room, plus 2 to the projector in the family room. 34 runs total. Only 3 are in use today, but I’m ready.

Part of my reasoning in running 4 is that you can send HDMI over 2 Cat 6 lines (sometimes 1 line, but that’s been less reliable in my experience), so I wanted to have the ability to have a central hub that could send video to every room. I also ran 6-strand fiber for future-proofing because I got a deal on a 300 foot spool which was enough to reach every room that I’d already run ethernet to.

We want to live in this house til our kids move out (college or otherwise), which figures to be at least 18 years from now (youngest is 5 months old), so I figured that if I amortized the cost over that time it cost me only a few bucks a year to do all of this.

I posted previously about my server rack setup:

5 Likes

Oh, and I’m not using the ethernet jacks yet because my ethernet tools are at a friend’s house and none of my patch cables are quite long enough to run up the conduit and reach the back of the display.

1 Like

Impressive! Well thought out. :+1:
A central hub would be so cool!

1 Like

Go Aggies! Cool to see someone else from USU in line for a Glowforge. Way to go on that wall climber, USU has all the spidey things…spidey wall climber, spidey goats… ;p ;p ;p

1 Like

My small addition to this thread:
I made a mold out of Oogru (diy sugru-like silicone mix), Great Stuff foam, and a box. Finished 4" casts of cement and hypertufa munnies. ;p

Electronic Textile voodoo doll that has individual LEDs on his head that light up depending on where you stab him;p

And a handful of Halloween eyeball marbles;p

40 Likes

I want that voodoo doll! Do you sell them? :relaxed:

4 Likes

Haha! The voodoo doll looks like a Little Big Planet game character!

6 Likes

I am so glad to have learned about Oogru. There are some concrete projects I have been wanting to do for a long time.

2 Likes

Neat stuff! You work with glass? I have seen some really cool effects from metals added to glass for colors.
Thanks for sharing those crafts with us! :sunglasses:

I like your eyes. How did you make them? :relaxed:

10 Likes

Sounds like a pick-up line at a bar… lol :grin:

17 Likes

“The whites of your eyes are like glossy spheres of urethane casting resin, your iris is like a shimmering acrylic droplet suspended in an aqueous solution…”

15 Likes

Go Aggies Go Aggies Hey Hey Hey.

@nick07lee I can’t get to your portfolio. I don’t know if this is what you expect a casual browser to see; but my internet isn’t actually slow.

3 Likes

Ya… I didn’t renew the domain name. It was free the first year, but i didnt read the fine print saying it was exorbitant after… I’ll pull down the link.

Edit: It wont let me edit the post. It might be too old?

1 Like

The Internet is forever. Youngsters should remember that when posting incriminating selfies. . . In case they want to run for office someday.

8 Likes