Show and Tell

Wow, truly stunning work! Definitely looking forward to what you will do with the Glowforge!

4 Likes

Thank you.
Me too!

3 Likes

Bridget, I was pleased that as soon as I saw the box pic, I recognised your work :smiley:

But then I do have the advantage of seeing the reality !
John

5 Likes

Oh[quote=“marmak3261, post:1745, topic:1731”]
Had to zoom in and still thought it was a 3D render until I saw the real scroll
[/quote]

I’m glad I’m not the only one! The rendering people do in F360 look so good! And then the pictures people take in their shadow-box (or whatever @bridget did) are so clean and crisp! Envious of their skills!! So spectacular!!

5 Likes

This is just brilliant and remarkable! The design is so innovative, and makes such a lovely display for that incredible scroll. I want to be you when I grow up!

5 Likes

Another project! This time it’s a cosplay!
I volunteer with my local sci-fi and fantasy convention and with that comes a lot of charity work with kids.
I’m working on an Ant-Man costume for this weekend. It’s a long time coming but it’s turning out really well!

30 Likes

Incredible! Are those really metal parts or did you coat them with metallic paint? They look so realistic!

1 Like

The belt pieces are actually foam! Here is what they look like pre paint job

The pieces on the gloves I modeled in tinkercad and then printed out on a 3D printer.

I did a flat black primer paint followed by krylon chrome and then watered down some black acrylic paint to create the weathering effect

18 Likes

Now I’m even more impressed! Imagine how you’ll do it with a laser!

3 Likes

Every time I do stuff with EVA foam (which I admit is not a lot, that is more of my brother’s thing) I think “Wow, this would be so much easier with a laser”

Its a super fun process though! I really enjoyed making all this stuff and its for a super good cause!

9 Likes

Awesome job on those, particularly the helmet…it looks just like metal. :relaxed:

2 Likes

@Dunfee – what material are you using to fill in the gaps on the foam constructs?

I am really looking forward to being able to laser this stuff.

1 Like

That is incredibly nice work! Wow!

1 Like

I’m using the bondo crack filling putty. It just comes in a tube and then I apply it heavy on the areas that need filled. After about an hour I go back and sand. Pink dust gets everywhere but it works really well

4 Likes

Excellent work, and kudos to you for volunteering! :clap:

1 Like

I know there are a few beekeepers in the forum and I must say I’m excited to join your ranks! We just started our first hive!

My wife is already planning where we want to put our second and third hive. :joy:

17 Likes

Update on my Ant-Man costume from last week!

Spent Sunday at a Children’s Wish charity event! The kids loved it!

34 Likes

Great job! Very nice work, and application of yourself! :sunglasses:

2 Likes

An old friend, a city slicker, recently decided to get a couple beehives. Last week, on her first day tending the hives by herself, she forgot to put the veil down before opening the box. Half a dozen stings to the face later…

6 Likes

I presume she used a smoker?
Quick or sudden movements are bad JuJu around bees and wasps/hornets. If they perceive a threat they will respond.

On a 20’ ladder painting the soffit under the edge of those Spanish style roof tiles (which are perfect for wasp nests) I was dragging my brush within an inch of the nests (dozens of them) about the speed an ant walks (while complementing them on what good little wasps they were). The entire population of each one were eyeballing me with cocked wings, but never attacked.
I gained a new tolerance for wasps with that experience.

I think wasps are more aggressive than bees… and unlike a bee that can only sting once, a wasp can sting like a sewing machine.

I bet she won’t forget that net again! :grimacing:

6 Likes