Show and Tell

GFI and AFI are two different things.
GFI (Ground Fault Interrupt) is to prevent you from shocking yourself.
They are for wet areas like kitchens, bathrooms, or outside.
These are typically done at the outlet, or sometimes on a few outlets on one circuit where one GFI outlet can protect a few more.
AFI (Arc Fault Interrupt) is to prevent a spark that could cause a fire.
These can be done at the outlet, but are typically done at the breaker and are fairly new in the code.
They are required everywhere for duplex outlets.
I think some jurisdictions do not require them for single outlets dedicated to one appliance like a fridge.

4 Likes

Those sound like tamper proof outlets that are now required in some codes.

Ah, you’re right. I needed double-pole 20A breakers and those were crazy expensive a the time (a year ago) but it looks like they’re down to only $80.

One of the worst things to come along since the “Anti Spill” gas can.

8 Likes

Some updated pics with a variety of colors.

15 Likes

I was asked to show some of my other work… so here it is. If dolls creep you out, you’ll want to scroll past this post.

I make dolls as a hobby/second job. The middle doll is about 16 inches tall and the smallest is the last guy, his face is the size of my thumb. I paint them, sew clothes, and make wigs for them. The top girl and the second guy’s body are sculpted in paperclay first then cast in resin but the second guy’s head and the bottom doll were sculpted in zbrush, 3d printed, then cast in resin.

And these are a pair of eye I made for a large doll in my collection. The scelara is 3d printed and cast in white resin, then I paint the iris and add sparkles to it, and finally I set it with UV set resin.

I also make busts too. This is actually resin with the body painted in metal paints and oxidized. I love playing with patinas. I do a little basic metalsmithing and aging the work is something I really enjoy.

47 Likes

Those are cool, not creepy at all! Great work! :grinning:

4 Likes

That’s some incredible work! Unbelievable!

2 Likes

7 Likes

Wow! Really nice work! You have obviously been practicing your craft for a long time. Amazing detail! I share your affinity for patina, although my experience is with metal.
I have been fighting the urge to jump into zbrush, as I am still learning the fundamentals of design software, but the 3D capability is very inspiring. Jumping into a new realm would put me back underwater just as I get a tenuous grasp on designing for the laser.

Thanks for sharing your work! :sunglasses:

Beautiful work, thank you for sharing it here!

1 Like

Beautiful work!

1 Like

My first bowl on my mini lathe. This was a rescued piece of firewood, and the red grain swirling through was a fantastic surprise… I don’t know if I’m ever going to be able to bring myself to burn wood in my wood stove again! (well, I’ll need to do something with failed projects :wink: ) I like how wonky it is, leaving the clear knowledge about where it came from :slight_smile:
941F797B-A5C0-400A-B274-3F9335FAA9B2

33 Likes

I do too! I love asymmetrical designs! :grinning:

3 Likes

Very cool!
The surprises are such a gift. Remind me of cutting turquoise, petrified wood,geodes and agate. You never know what you will uncover. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

A long time ago someone posted a picture of the top 15" or so of a heavily weathered fence post where the top had been turned down to clean wood. The contrast was striking, a beautiful piece of art! That memory and this make me want to make wood chips fly.

2 Likes

You guys are a bad influence on me. I can’t afford all the tools I didn’t know I needed!

Adds lathe to the list…

6 Likes

That …ahem… post sounds familiar. I used my grandfather’s lathe when I was a kid, but to keep things cheap, we only ever used pine. The difference between that and a hardwood is amazing. I’ve only just been re-learning turning as an adult, devouring youtube videos, and staying up WAY too late because I ‘just want to try to find a little more shape’, then 2am rolls around :stuck_out_tongue:
The lesson I seem to see most frequently reinforced is “the uglier the wood, the prettier the discovery”

4 Likes

OH I had one of those very recently. I had been to the sawmill to get various lumbers and they had this wood lying around that I was told was Brazilian Rose wood. It didn’t look like much but it was fairly cheap and I wanted new woods to play with and see how I liked them. It’s been in my shop for about 2 years now and I haven’t used it for anything because it didn’t “look right”. But now that I’m getting towards the end of my stock, I wanted to make some long grain cutting boards. I decided to include this wood and MAN did it clean up nice. Different shades of Browns and faint traces of reds and greens. It really does look amazing and I had no idea what was hidden under than less than desirable exterior

(include obligatory, “it’s what’s on the inside that counts” quote)

4 Likes

I’m kicking myself for not taking the Before picture on this one! :slight_smile:

2 Likes