Show and Tell

Nope. Your stuff is pretty amazing. I also feel a bit overawed by the artistry here. I am trying to hold my head up here, and you can, too.

Be happy to be among real artists, and don’t discount yourself.

2 Likes

Josh that is so cool!'
Hey, that’s why we have machine tools! Besides, they’re just sitting there…

My guess is you lathed the knob and the crank handle, (looks space-age on that sheave) maybe the bushings too.
Drill press, mill maybe and some cutting tool with muscle to form the aluminum gear boss.
Welder …

Fun project, with many brownie points as a bonus!
Thank you for showing that!

1 Like

This will be my first edge-lit project.
1/8" acrylic with a piece of black to back it up. Generated by this contraption using a sharp stylus to hit the surface and enlarge the dot with every impact, raster fashion.
For no more “pixels” than it has, it is pretty detailed.Notice the glint on the neck chains.

Because the pixels vary by depth, edge lighting really makes it pop.

Yes, the last 30 years have not been kind to me. She still looks great, clean living I imagine.
The form participants have posted numerous examples of edge lighting how to that will greatly smooth the journey.
Gratitude:thumbsup:.

17 Likes

That is a beautiful set of drawers. As a woodworker too, I understand what you mean about flaws. When I look at the stuff that I have made, I notice the flaws first. It is just something that we do. Anyway, I think you did an outstand job, both with the execution and especially with the design and proportion of the piece. After seeing all of your fantastic stuff, I am reluctant to show anything that I have done. :grin: Thank you for sharing.

7 Likes

I can rewire for 220, but will get an electrician to run the circuit and do the wire up. It’s labeled very clear, but with so many alternativess CW 110, CCW 110, CW 220, CCW 220, I want to make sure it gets done properly so neither me nor the motor gets fried.

2 Likes

I don’t believe you have anything to worry about, I saw this post already Intarsia

6 Likes

On display David, and with that, I know there is more. Show it off!
Let’s see some more!
Edit; sorry Josh, false alarm.

2 Likes

Rebuilding my rental apartment to suit expats in the city. I could not find the right bed for size for the bedroom so I decided I could build one myself. The whole apartment will carry an industrial theme which is all the rage right now with the cool kids.

Drew up plans in Sketchup:

Went to a lumberyard and bought some wood and a few days later voila!

My DeWalt router died (it literally exploded!) on me just before I could tackle this project so yesterday I got to welcome the new piece of the family:

32 Likes

Festool!
You’re just showing off now.

7 Likes

Oooo and a Festool dust extractor. You have been shopping!

1 Like

This is actually the workshop of a friend. My shop is a lot smaller! Festool is the way to go for quality and service for me. I use their saw and ruler a lot for work (event stuff) and that shopvac just makes all the difference in the workshop. We’ve been slowly upgrading our 10/15 year old DeWalt stuff that has been failing due to old age. Basically anything with batteries we go for the Makita 18V 4a version. So impact drivers, drills, angle grinder is all that system. Anything with a cord we spend a little more on the festool brand because of ease of storage, quality, service and they all work together with parts.

But don’t be fooled. We also have some off brand or consumer brand tools! Bosch scroll saw and sanders, Ferm table saw and table disc sander. Also, discount clamps! (Action brand) €4 a piece.

That Ferm table saw is the scariest thing I have in the shop. It fires up with a bang and it never really cuts straight…

7 Likes

Him indoors loves his Festool. Top quality and those great stacking boxes, keeps going on about needing to put his Trend router into a table and get a Festool one for hand use. He also goes for Makita cordless stuff and will only buy Husquavarns XP chainsaws (he’s got quite a few, although I’m never sure exactly how many).
He does like his quality tools.

3 Likes

Cool project! - Fine tool addition.
Doing it yourself you get better quality material for less than you might spend on “fast furniture”, with craftsmanship that is a magnitude better!
Nice work, Thanks for showing us!

1 Like

Guy tank top? So 80s. :muscle::blush:

We love workshop pron. :heart_eyes_cat:

5 Likes

Hi everyone,
This is super awesome to see so many various projects, and creative endeavors across such a wide variety of mediums and specialties.

I’m a Graphic Designer/Artist by trade as well as a DJ and music producer…
Instead of posting tons of pics of so very many things I’ve done, here’s a few links to check out for the sake of sharing and in the spirit of this thread. :slight_smile:

A DJ console I designed and built about 10 years ago in college Intro to Woodworking sculpture class, and then finished off in my friends workshop: http://spon1080.com/mydjconsole/

A Fiber arts sculpture with handmade paper, reed, and twine: http://spon1080.com/Light-Weight/

My design portfolio that hasn’t been updated since graduation in 2008: http://www.spon1080.com

Anyhow, I’m really looking forward to getting my glowforge to start a whole new direction in creative output! :slight_smile:

13 Likes

:frowning: for some reason content filters wont let me go to that site it some how falls in to the ‘sex’ category

1 Like

?! Ummmm… weird. it’s not! :confused:

1 Like

What content filter do you use?
Maybe the filter settings are overly strict…
a couple of the images in the illustration section of the portfolio are nude figure-drawing studies…
and it has javascript calling flash, so that could fire a warning I guess…
or maybe it could be hosted on a server that has been flagged…
No sex in there tho.

2 Likes

well, i’m glad that at least you are able to access the site, and the various links. I haven’t updated the site in almost 8 years. I don’t know what could be causing that to happen though… hmmmmm…

2 Likes

Awesome stuff man! You have a very similar background to my own. I didnt have any problem getting into the site and checking everything out. Youve got a lot of cool stuff there.

Im really liking that DJ console you made. I definitely could use one of those in my new place. (I built one into the wall of my old house, but it stayed when I moved). Ive still got a ton of vinyl, so I like to keep my M3Ds out with my digital decks. How are you liking the height/angle of the CDJ shelf?