Show and Tell

So you can cast pewter into RTV?

2 Likes

Yep. It doesn’t last as long as baked silicone but no problems running them multiple times - just let them cool between uses to help lengthen their life.

I was doing little fantasy pewter chess sets for my kids and others. A previous “obsession” when I wanted to know how to do it (I was casting bullets for reloading at the time so it wasn’t a big equipment expense). :slightly_smiling_face:

I’m doing a boatload of LED plaques for a submariner’s reunion that I was originally going to do in pewter. They had a 5x5in bas relief ships plaque that I used to make a couple molds from but the original was a copy of a copy so it didn’t mold well. I digitized the design and added the sub itself and the ship’s crew’s motto (they official one is on the seal :slightly_smiling_face:). In fact I’m babysitting the laser now as it finishes the first 20. :grinning:

3 Likes

John! So cool! Nice job on that! (the finding on the back works even better:)
My Wife has many little treasures gathered over the years. Made with your hands and your heart - they carry special significance.
Fun isn’t it? Trial and error buddy, failure is an integral component of success. - the real payoff is you emerge with a new understanding and appreciation.

4 Likes

I see what you did there… :grinning:

8 Likes

wow! that’s beautiful. thanks for sharing your learning!

1 Like

Thanks, Rita! I just finished assembling a sandblasting cabinet so I might have other new projects. But my wife is still waiting for a pewter moose necklace.

3 Likes

I have really enjoyed my sandblaster, using it for cleaning and mostly for texture. Regular sand is like a crushed aggregate, sharp corners and edges. I became fond of Flint shot, aka glass bead for finishing metal. It comes in different sizes that is rounded and leaves a finish more like burnishing. This is the stuff they use or used to to give traffic signs a reflective finish.
Pure silica sand, is almost snow white and comes in a bunch of particle sizes like Flint shot from dust size to large grain sand. It also is sharp.
Lots of choices depending on your desired finish.

Handy tool. Mine is one of the few tools I didn’t build myself, as I happened to be bucks up when I saw it. Small, interior is a little more than a cubic foot.

Be sure to share the moose with us! :sunglasses:

5 Likes

Some model engineers use sand blasters with the appropriate media to give their machined aluminum parts the appearance of cast metal.

13 Likes

I proudly present my edible art/craft!
The wine bottle is all cake with fondant over! Toasted Coconut Shavings for the “wood chips” and the Crate is cake and fondant.
The Minion is all cake and fondant.
Everything is 100% edible!

45 Likes

That wine bottle is incredible! :relaxed:

6 Likes

Thats amazing!

3 Likes

Thank you! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

Great work. Thanks for sharing.

3 Likes

Wow, I definitely did a double take on the Wine cake. That is amazing, it looks like an actually bottle! Great Job!

3 Likes

Unbelievable! I’m wildly impressed, especially with the bottle.

3 Likes

Beautiful work…and ditto everyone else…the bottle is amazing.

1 Like

That wine bottle is insane! Really amazing work.
:clap:

1 Like

The minion is great too! (Also easier to believe it is cake and not the real thing!)

1 Like

Wow thats awesome!!! Love the shininess of the bottle…it looks very realistic!! Is it wine flavored…lol

2 Likes