Show and Tell

The boxes are fantastic, and the book binding is beautiful as well!
I had to laugh though since the first “niknak” picture is covered with a bookcloth(?) that my wife uses as well. I have an almost identical blank book she made for me. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I think they were probably used quite widely by merchants, tax collectors etc. This one I suspect was a merchants (a quite wealthy one from the standard of it).

4 Likes

I really like that cloth. Never did have much of it and my supply is dwindling fast.

1 Like

I am learning so many cool things from all of you. There are so many things that I am seeing that I had never known about and now I am interested in learning about them. I think I lead to much of a sheltered life. Thanks to all of you.

5 Likes

I am fascinated about your work. I have often wished I had gone in the direction of art restoration, but never did. If you wouldn’t mind, could you tell me briefly in what context you do your work? Museums, private collectors?

5 Likes

Found some projects that I did when I got my first laser. Man, I’ve not been creative since then until this forum…now Im thinking about all the fun stuff to do with lasers again…lol

I made this for my Mom since she always has family members and friends visit her in Tuscon.

This was for my brother. Engraved out the shapes in the plaque about 1/32" deep, then cut the shapes out of 1/8" birch ply and put them back in like a puzzle. 3D effect…
Same with my moms plaque above. Also on hers I vector engraved the cactus then hand painted in the colors. Then did several layers of urethane to weatherproof it

These were for the same brother and his wife when they each retired from the Air Force. Bought the chair at lowes, they came unassembled so I made a jig to hold the back piece in my laser bed, juryrigged the safety door using magnets to trick the laser to think the front cabinet was closed…lol
Engraved, then applied black stain.

24 Likes

I’d love to be able to do something like that for my folks…they like to sit out back on the porch with the puppies. :relaxed:

5 Likes

Mostly museums, although I do some private work. I also do a lot for organisations like The National Trust. Royal Horticultural society, Scott Polar Reseach Institute and such. I am lucky to get to see and handle, some pretty cool stuff. I’ll see if I can put up some pictures of some of them for you later.

6 Likes

This is one of the things I have most enjoyed working on recently.

Uploading…
Uploading… Uploading…

21 Likes

Lovely work and such a cool book.
I had to look him up…
This is a great line: "He is remembered as “the last of the great English 18th century artists to be accorded his due” :grin:

7 Likes

Whenever you see pictures of the great English country houses, the chances are that it was he who landscaped the grounds. He’s still very well known over here and is possibly one of our best known historic figures. It’s a funny thing that if you mention his name almost everyone will have heard of him, but mention Jethro Tull and most people will think of a 70’s prog folk/rock band.
We English do love our gardens.

5 Likes

Good to have detective Kopel on the job!

Thank you for sharing such a wonderful historical artifact!
You are privilaged that your skills are recognized, and they position you to help preserve history. I’m sure you have worked diligently to acquire them.
Respect, and salute.

Please do!

@smcgathyfay - Nice combination of technique to give depth.
I was wondering how you managed to get a chair in the machine! Very nice work, thanks for digging those up!

2 Likes

Thank you for showing those photos. Your enclosures for the historical items are as amazingly beautiful as they are functional, and I am really intrigued about the items themselves. I, for one, have heard of Capability Brown and have read many things that have mentioned him. I have a huge interest in mostly medieval history, so seeing that almanac was exciting for me.

3 Likes

I am into almost anything technical, and have many, varied hobbies. I have been involved in radio controlled models for a lot of years, so the Glowforge ad with the RC drone with rubber band gatling guns definitely gave me a chuckle. I have built something related and just as odd (please disregard the part around 3:30 where I ran over my GoPro :-)). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOHRUOHmLdk

To help feed my hobbies I worked at a local hobby shop for 18 months, and made this sign for the boss as a Christmas present using an X-Carve. That is red oak and it completely dulled a tungsten carbide bit, but all-in-all didn’t come out too badly. The boss liked it :slight_smile:

DD

25 Likes

My brother in law asked if I could build something to hold his headphones. This is what I came up with. Every other layer is acrylic and I’m hoping to add a LED light soon.

27 Likes

So many cool things and creative people here! I want to play too!

This is my latest big project, a lamp built from an Erlenmeyer flask:

Which has led to a line I’m working on of pieces made from other labware:

On the laser-cutting front, I designed and Kickstarted a series of clocks with the silhouettes of each of Portland, Oregon’s bridges:

On the sillier side of things, an 8-foot diameter sidewalk-chalk spirograph, an abacus bracelet, and a Tetris-playing pumpkin:

I can’t wait to throw my own laser cutter into the toolset and see what comes out.

48 Likes

That Abacus bracelet is very cool! :relaxed:

5 Likes

Decided to make my own home sign after making dozens for other people. Used my Carvewright and carved on Red Oak then hand painted.

10 Likes

Very professional looking! :grin:

2 Likes

Fantastic, I love that lamp!
You are a man after my own heart with the lab ware…
I made a series of wall sculptures sort of like that many years ago, although mine are not nearly as nicely crafted.

27 Likes