Show and Tell

Chainsaw to fell and to take any small limbs off, and an ax to take any large limb knots that stick out. That makes it easy then to use the draw knife without jerking my hands off when I hit a knot.

4 Likes

Looks incredible…I bet it must smell nice too.:grin: I love the smell of cedar.

4 Likes

A new clock for the dentist my wife works for.

32 Likes

That’s pretty sweet…making the office one of the numbers! :relaxed:

4 Likes

Beautiful :grinning:

2 Likes

I mentioned pens (turning) a few times in some posts in the forum, thought I’d post some pics of some I’ve made. I like to make 'em, don’t sell 'em but give some away to friends… , so I end up with a lot of pens…

2nd 2 pics just closer of the top pic… they are turned from wood, acrylic or corian(love turning corian). I hope to add some personalization to some with the GF.

38 Likes

Like these a lot.

1 Like

Those Corian pens are just fabulous! (Didn’t know you could do that with Corian.):smiley:

8 Likes

Thanks - It turns fairly well and there are sooooo many variations in coloring. I like the weight they give the pens.

6 Likes

How do you get them polished up like that? Do you dip them in sealer?

3 Likes

Wood is usually CA (glue) finish. But corian you can just sand to a polish using Micromesh pads (up to the 12000 grit) then a plastic polish. Renaissance wax on wood as well.

8 Likes

Very nice collection! I didn’t realize Corian was so versatile.
Thanks for sharing your work!

3 Likes

Your pens are excellent! The corian is especially nice. I used to buy hair sticks from a fellow who worked with corian, but the material that he used was not as colorful or well polished. Some of yours almost look like gemstones :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Beautiful work. Glowforge will definitely give you the opportunity to embellish them even more. Custom gift boxes for good friends would also be great.

4 Likes

Almost all my corian was from the tiny squares you see on display at home depot ( the 2inch samples). With those you can only make the slimline pens though.

PS The funny looking wooden one with the many stripes (not the 2-tone but the line stripes)was my first pen I made at a Home Show demonstration years ago - that got me hooked (everyone was making cylinders - I wanted a different shape).

8 Likes

These are gorgeous. Lots of talented folks around here!

3 Likes

Hi there fellow pen turner. I have been turning pens for about 12 years and am looking forward to using the GF for engraving finished pens. I too have had excellent results with Corian.
You can see some of my pens on my website at www.pensbylarry.com.

15 Likes

I’ve always wanted to do that. One of these days I’ll spring for a lathe :smile: Excellent work, by the way.

1 Like

I always thought I’d never use it. I received a midi size one for fathers day and have used it more than any other tool in the shop. I just tried a wood football which looked more like a wood lemon, attempt #2 this weekend. I still have a few weeks until the football pool wraps up though… :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Those are beautiful! Thanks for sharing.

I might be getting a lathe for Christmas :yum:

I love turning wood, it is almost meditative :wink:

4 Likes