Show me your HALLOWEEN stuff!

so… halloween?

pennywise on slate, maybe?

:thinking:

18 Likes

Oh, wow, creepy!

first attempt at a lasered pumpkin:

I don’t think I went deep enough for light to show through, so I’m probably going to have to carve away at the inside to make the wall thinner, if I want it illuminated.

20 Likes

what laser did you run that on? i can only get 2" depth on the GF (9" on the universal ).

1 Like

I used my Glowforge.

I sliced a 2”-thick slab from the front of the pumpkin, engraved it, and reattached it to the pumpkin carcass using toothpick-sized bits of scrap Proofgrade (broken off slivers from between closely-spaced cuts)

10 Likes

nicely done. i can see the cut a little now that you mention it, but it wasn’t obvious in the pic.

ya, well as you can see, I used a brilliantly maintained precision cutting tool

it’s a little more obvious from the side:

7 Likes

i’m guessing that thing has a bitch of a kerf to it.

3 Likes

roughly .0875"

Band saw ?:thinking:

Very creepy!

Very interesting and so much to learn

Here’s Frank!

21 Likes

Frank is awesome! I love the simplicity and contrast.

1 Like

Ok, how are you getting your slate to come out so amazing. My slate is coming out, bleh. What are your settings, if you don’t mind telling me. Beautiful work, by the way.

will be interesting to see if there is much variance in slate. I suspect a lot of the success here is with the preprocessing on the image. Here seems to be a settings thread about slate, Settings for Engraving on Slate

I think in there or on another thread they talk about oiling the slate to get more contrast. I think if it’s not in there a search for oil/slate should help.

1 Like

Those came out great! I love the skulls in all the sizes.

@ dolcediva

settings are pretty easy… see the settings for slate post in non PG materials post
(and i dont even use mineral oil)
you just need really good (dark) slate

• i get mine from amazon.com - " Juvale Mini Slate Cheese Boards"

the BIG issue is getting the grayscale image correct…
too much contrast (pure black/white) doesnt work…
too little contrast (“muddy grays”) doesnt work…

you really need to make a great image (messing with “levels” in photoshop) to get them to come out like that. (and there’s no real “settings” for that? - you just “eyeball it”)

hope that helps

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing your settings, @chris.mouser – it’s always helpful, but forum rules require that non-PG settings be restricted only to the Beyond the Manual section, in order to keep the Friendly Neighborhood Lawyers from saying we can’t talk about them at all. :wink: Best option is to post them there, and then you can link to them in your response here.

Or just direct message anyone who asks :slight_smile: