"Simple" Bird Feeder

I jokingly said in a post earlier this week something about making a simple bird feeder, and unfortunately, @eflyguy, it’s not the worlds’ first convex isogonal nonprismatic aviary. I went with something… simpler. Designed from scratch, this was cut and engraved completely on 1/8" Baltic Birch. Graphics for the faux wood, bricks, and shingles were purchased from Creative Market. I am very pleased how it all came together, although the engraving took forever because I did both sides of everything. This will be a father’s day gift to my Dad to add to his record collection of backyard bird feeders.

45 Likes

That turned out very nice. I am sure your dad will love it.

4 Likes

Wow, gorgeous! :grinning:

4 Likes

I love it! How did you get the contrasting colors on the shingles? Did you paint before or after engraving?

3 Likes

What kind of finish did you put on it for outdoor use? 'Cause that’s where I always get stalled, in thinking of stuff like this. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Multiple coats of clear polyurethane before it was assembled. Probably a few more coats needed.

2 Likes

Painted the board with Brown acrylic paint and the engraved a vary power at 1000 speed. No masking. Prepped the graphic files in photoshop before importing into Illustrator.

4 Likes

I pull up a post label “Simple” Bird Feeder and see that! My first response was, “That is simple?!?”

LOL, Great job!!

8 Likes

I am sooo going to try this on gingerbread. I get lots of gingerbread ideas from stuff posted here, love it!

5 Likes

3 Likes

Love this design so much!

2 Likes

Not another new avatar!

5 Likes

A gingerbread bird feeder??!?? Now THERE is a concept! :grin:

5 Likes

He looks a bit like a slightly smushed Simon Cowell. :thinking:

3 Likes

This is awesome. I live the patterns & the colors. Not sure it qualifies as “simpler” :grin:

4 Likes

Good paint job too

3 Likes

Yeah, simple is just not in your DNA. Love this design, especially the curved shape.

4 Likes

Loved it!

3 Likes

I swear, it started out simple. Without the graphics, it’s really quite plain.

4 Likes

It’s gorgeous! Especially like the pop of teal.

2 Likes