Sodium Chloride Cleaning

It’s very difficult. The highest recommended one I could find was Eska but it’s impossible to find a retailer or wholesaler of it in the US. Eska direct won’t even reply to any kind of a small player. I tried - several times.

I ended up going through a distributor here in Texas (Olmsted Kirk/OK Paper). Apparently, this is made by Manchester Industries. And it’s actually 80pt - not 70. My bad.

The price isn’t bad for getting 1 bundle at a time.

1 Like

These guys have some interesting products if you are willing to buy by the pallet. Unfortunately nothing looks to be archival. Might be something there for future projects.

http://www.ganebrothers.com/

1 Like

What chipboard product did you purchase?

I have both sizes at Dick Blick (50 and 100 pt) and then 80 pt that I mentioned above from Olmsted Kirk.

@lairdknox: one of the many sites that I looked at! They have some great stuff.

Use the laser to melt the salt and burn off the residue :grin:

But seriously I have melted salt with a fresnel lens :grin:

3 Likes

What was the downside of the 100? Too difficult to cut cleanly?

I’ll have to check but you could look at comic book backer boards. Supposed to be archival quality chipboard so it direct ruin the Paper with acid.

Let me take this cleaning thread sideways for a minute and ask if anyone knows a method of removing candle wax from a tablecloth?

The scrape and iron method is what i have always used (candle wax and bees wax are dual occupational hazards i face and some of the altar cloths are ridiculously expensive)

1. Scrape off as much as you can without damaging fabric
  2. Place paper (butchers, or brown paper bag) over and under under the cloth and iron it as slowly as you can - this should blot most of it up
  3. Wash in as warm a wash load as you can with detergent.

Works well for me

3 Likes

I concur. We do keep a supply of liquid wax remover on hand. Sometimes you get the wax out, but since it isn’t 100% beeswax most of the time, some type of solvent is needed to clear the stain and return the material to original appearance. Test on the fabric. Often it depends on the fabric of the tablecloth and the nature of the wax. First an iron with paper towels to get the big stuff. Then use paper grocery bags. They are thick and really soak up the wax and spread it out into the paper.

3 Likes

Thank you gentlemen!

Use what now old timer?(I miss grocery store bag cowboy vests.)

5 Likes

Great company. Call Billy Wilson in the Waco office. He knows everything about paper!

1 Like

Grocery bag textbook sleeves. Nostalgia bomb!

2 Likes