Solution soluble masking

exxxxxxcellleent =))))

1 Like

I would ask if it may be better to just not use the masking at all when you are doing high detail work. You are not leaving very much of the masking in place by the end of thingsā€¦ and you are going to clean the part up afterward anyway, because there is residue on the rastered sectionsā€¦

So why not just skip masking?

8 Likes

Iā€™ll make a post to show you. Hold on a secā€¦

1 Like

Well, the OP is looking to not break of tiny details that occurs during said clean up. I can understand that need.

3 Likes

Would either of these combinations be feasible?

Nitrocellulose lacquer then soak in lacquer thinner?

Acrylic lacquer then soak in acetone? Or would just coating the surface of the wood with a coat of something like Krylon Crystal Clear make any residue easy to wipe off? Or spray off with something like CRC Contact cleaner?

1 Like

yeah some of those sounds like good possibilities. I guess it just depends on how thickly they go on.

I also wonder if sugar coating it would work. could smell delicious when cut too haha. dissolves pretty easily in water. guess its something to put in the experiment queue

4 Likes

Iā€™ll give some careful thought to the question.

1 Like

In addition to paper towel you can use dampened paper (like newspaper).

Keeping it damp is a challenge, even for a few minutes in the moving air inside a laser cutter. 30-minute engraves will be tricky.

A light engrave over the entire thing might do the trick. I think some people do that to clean up 3D engraves.

Maybe an ultrasonic cleaner would clean the soot off without damaging the wood. (Oh, or it might help remove ordinary masking.)

Speaking of helping remove ordinary masking - a heat gun makes removing sticky things MUCH easier. Maybe applying some heat would let you remove ordinary Proofgrade masking without as much trouble. No additional moisture or chemicals either!

7 Likes

We use Revalpha at work. We deal with very sensitive MEMS devices and pulling them off of tape could destroy them. This material is sticky at room temperature, but loses almost all its adhesion when you raise the temp. There are probably other thermal release tapes that could work as well.

http://www.nitto.com/us/en/products/group/e_parts/electronic/001/

Edit: I probably should note that I have no idea about itā€™s laserability.

14 Likes

Mitee-Bite makes an adhesive tape that release with heat as well. Itā€™s probably too expensive for routine use but might be worth considering.

https://www.miteebite.com/products/mitee-grip/

@takitus - if youā€™d like a piece for testing, PM me with an address and Iā€™ll send you a square foot or so.

6 Likes

Hell yeah! Cant pass that up! Thank you!

Just dont come steal my glowforgeā€¦ haha

4 Likes

This thread is starting to sound a lot like the story of how the sticky note adhesive came to beā€¦ maybe you just need the stickiness of sticky note glue!

3 Likes

The stuff already exists. Itā€™s called Aleneā€™s Tack It Over And Over. Itā€™s a liquid glue you spread on to the paper or whatever and let dry. The paper is then repositionable like a Post It note.

12 Likes

Found it. Itā€™s actually: Aleeneā€™s Tack-It Over & Over
Interesting looking stuff.

7 Likes

Ooops. Missed an ā€œe.ā€

1 Like

Iā€™ve got some. If somebody would care to send me a Glowforge Iā€™ll be happy to test it as a masking material! :wink:

9 Likes

Itā€™s cool. They can just send me mine and Iā€™ll be happy to test.

4 Likes

Kind of bites that I am in the middle of empty Glowforgia and the closest order is 2 hours away. Iā€™d have my own Laser Thursday for anyone who wants to come by.

9 Likes

Iā€™d drive more than two hours for such a thing! I hope that the first one in the South is so generous. If that turns out to be me, and three or more wanted to, Iā€™d figure out something away from the house for them to come play. Not that gf folk are not welcome at the house, just very little room.

5 Likes

Iā€™m in the south. Where ya from?

2 Likes