Solution to Odor Issues with Glowforge

How the what now? Who’s Les?

Auto correct :flushed:. Edited post

No problem :sweat_smile:
… but what do you mean by inside? you’ll have to be more specific, I used aluminum tape on almost every component of my exhaust run…

Or do you mean inside the rigid aluminum ducting?

It sounded like you taped inside the machine. Is that accurate?

Ah… no, that is not accurate.
I used aluminum tape, folded over, on the GF end of the dryer hose to fashion a sort of a sleeve, with foam weatherstripping on the inside (all of the adhesive is covered), that I hose-clamp to the GF exhaust port. I wanted to avoid having to use any tape directly adhered to the machine.

2 Likes

When I said that I went over every seam, bolt, and rivet in the venting system, I was referring to everything downstream of the GF, not the forge itself.
The hose connections, duct connections, elbows, mounting straps, duct seams, duct connections, every surface of the in-line fan.

3 Likes

and to continue an old thread, I am more motivated to change my set up because of the epic noise reduction with using an in-line fan (and turning the built it one off)

I have a really short path from GF exhaust to the window (<1 foot.) Also, the in line fan sits at a different height than the GF exhaust port. Any suggestions/tips for doing something like this?

GF exhaust --> very short hose --> in-line fan --> hose --> window vent slot

I think I will need 4 clamps and maybe 1 foot of hose to make it work

1 Like

No reason that shouldn’t work, it’s basically how I have mine set up. I’d suggest taping up the connections really well to minimize smoke leaks.

2 Likes

My experience with the inline Vivosun 190 CFM fan working alone was that it worked in low smoke situations, but through cutting 1/4"wood produced enough smoke to overwhelm it easily and smoke came out of everywhere.

I had some soft foam gasket material that I put on the top of the door that produced the most smoke when the head fan blew smoke directly into it but overall less than adequate.

With that fan and the regular exhaust fan working together the effect is better than any I have seen,

1 Like

I cut mostly acrylic and don’t cut wood very often. I have never seen smoke to the point where it’s visible when leaking.

Here’s my sketchy set up. I think I could do with some aluminum tape around each joint! The output exhaust opening on the GF has a really short lip, so the connecting ligatures did not fit. I only used ~1/10th of the hose.

It is so much more quiet in here! I regret not doing this earlier! The smell is still present I think, but the noise is the worst annoyance.

3 Likes