Source for CO2 fire extinguishers?

As @jkopel stated…you should always be standing near your laser.
If there IS a flair up, generally lifting the lid, thus shutting off the laser should be enough. If you have the settings correct and are using safe materials, you shouldn’t get much actual flame.

6 Likes

Absolutely! (But i want an extinguisher on hand as well.)

2 Likes

Is there any particular type of material that catches fire? I would rather stick with using the safest stuff :wink:

Probably dont want one of these

5 Likes

@smcgathyfay You cut a fair bit, have you had many flareups from knots or the resin in wood in general? How bad?

Not really…if and when I do, I just lift the lid and blow it out…lol

5 Likes

Yeah, I hadn’t seen anything on line in videos that I couldn’t cover with my thumb, but I wanted to hear it from the voice of experience.
Thank you “Laser Lady”!

Oh and about using your thumb people, you want to be aware that hot and especially molten plastic cools slowly and is known to take the skin with it. Guess how I know that?

3 Likes

Same way i do? :confused:

1 Like

After reading comments from @rpegg, I found this Halotron extinguisher on Amazon. I like the small size and price. The description says that there is no residue or thermal shock. I think I am going to stay away from the CO2, someone said they are best for cooling beer. Here is a picture of the one that I like.

8 Likes

Halatron is what I thought was best but others more knowledgeable may have a different opinion. 2.5 lbs is good for about 9 secs. That should be fine in the unlikely chance you need it inside the Glowforge. Not really rated for large paper or wood fires, neither is CO2. A runaway flame-up inside the unit should be handled well. Again, my uneducated opinion.

Lol I hear ya…the smell of burning flesh is not fun either…lol

1 Like

That’s the same brand I went with, but I went up to 5 lbs. because the price wasn’t that much higher. They shipped much faster than “3 to 5 days” as well, but that could have been a fluke.

1 Like

@davidgal2 Nice find on the halotron extinguisher. @Hirudin I was also going to go for the larger one, but then noticed it has the same discharge time as the smaller one, 9 sec. It must have twice the flow rate, I’m guessing.

Found this on the Epilog website: “Epilog recommends a Halotron fire extinguisher or a multi-purpose dry-chemical fire extinguisher. The Halotron extinguisher emits a clean, easily removable substance that is not harmful to the mechanics or wiring of the laser system. Other dry chemical extinguisher can sometimes emit a sticky, corrosive powder that is very difficult to clean up.”

6 Likes

A wait of a week or two won’t be a problem for those of us buying one for our Glowforges :smiling_imp:

2 Likes

there is thread on eye protection already from last year:

2 Likes

Can’t believe how much you guys have to pay for an extinguisher.
CO2 extinguishers over here are about £20-30
Halon appears to only be available to FD,PD and armed forces or in automated systems and can’t find any Halotron at all.

Are you sure you are not looking at standard dry chemical extinguishers? Extinguishers in the stores here are all dry chemical which leave a sticky residue. I was only able to find CO2 or Halatron online or at a extinguisher supply shop.

They are selling a Halotron 2.5 lb buckeye one here for $75.99 plus a little more than $15 shipping to residential. a little more than $25 to a business. If it is just in your home then you may not need it to be tagged.

That would depend on you.

1 Like

That is a great find. Do you have any idea who can tag a fire extinguisher? I had not heard of this before. Thanks for posting. :slight_smile:

I wouldn’t worry about a tag personally but if you need it then your local supplier or maybe your local fire department?

1 Like