Source recommendations for sand for the Miniature Tabletop Zen Garden?

You might also look to your local janitorial supply. Although public smoking isn’t as common as it once was, the used to stock very fine white sand for ashtrays and icy sidewalks.

3 Likes

I’m all good for now. Going to experiment with the two things I ordered that I mentioned above and then go from there! :smiley:

Tyler is about 3 hours from us. As Texas distances go, not that far. :wink:

2 Likes

Yeah, I was pretty surprised as I watched his travel to get here (through a driver I hired online, who knew that was a thing) with GPS.

It was funny because I had a coworker who was in Galveston and I was like hmmm I wonder if she could bring him home with her?! lol It didn’t look that far on the map. lol But then I realized it was 4 hours away… If it hadn’t been a last minute thing, might have been able to make it work, but in this case, I just hired the driver.

2 Likes

May want to try a pet store. The sand for fish tanks should be fine enough and can find in different colors.

1 Like

Go on a camping trip to Great Sand Dunes National Park.
Run around in the sand dunes with your shoes on. Slide down a sand dune in jeans.
When you get home, you will have massive amounts of fine colorado sand collected in each shoe and pants pocket!

5 Likes

:smiley: I’m actually planning a camping trip there in May (when the runoff is high). :slight_smile: I haven’t been there for YEARS. I used to live close enough for a day trip, but now I’d rather just camp. lol
However, the sand I ordered from Amazon will be here today and I’ll experiment with that! haha

2 Likes

I only skimmed the answers, but what about the sand art stuff? It’s pretty fine… and comes in fun colors. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

NaCl - Sodium Chloride. It’s cheap and versatile.

1 Like

When I was in college in Miami, students would sign up to take cars back for tourists so they could fly. So instead of paying they would make money to get home for the summer. Not much demand for heading west but if home was in the northeast the volume and competition was heavy. Which put the drivers in the driver’s seat

2 Likes

Our drivers were a young couple and they didn’t even stay in a hotel overnight, I think they just took turns driving. I think it’s a quick way for them to make some money! And - cuddle with a puppy while you’re at it! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: Kind of nice for people that don’t mind driving!

3 Likes

Back in the day, my school bus had died in Wilcox AZ (one stoplight, one Dairy Queen, one grocery, one drug store, 16 churches in a square around the one “massage parlor” and 32 gas stations/repair places preying on folks having problems in the middle of the longest emptiest stretch of nowhere that side of Texas.

The politics of the town was around which of the two gangs was the first repair facility one would find walking in out of the desert, fortunately, I was found by the better of the two, but once cued in you could see how they had leapfrogged each other down the road into town.

As the bus’s motor needed replacing I was employed by the company doing the work and staying in the bus. Thus I became the town’s one hippie.

There had been a college couple from back east that decided they wanted to see California, and having a Karmen-Gia but no money they would sleep in the car and for food had a bushel of granola.

It was quite tragic as the guy fell asleep on the road and jumped over a bridge and was the more injured and the first hospital refused to admit them out of pure bigotry. I never met them but had a sheriff show up at my door asking what kind of drug the granola was because these kids had so much of it that he thought it obvious that they were going to California to deal in illegal granola as they had so much of it. I was able to save them from going to jail for illegal granola but they lost everything and had to have their parents bail them out of the hospital and back to college,

Wow…

This is a bit of a tangent but this story reminded me of “Desperation” by Stephen King. lol

1 Like

We can do tangents? But yes, it has the makings of a good horror story. I think one might hang out in Wilcox and find quite a few.
Including the one about hanging out in Wilcox trying to collect horror stories.

1 Like

Is that Safe? :smiley: jk

I think if you got some dihydrogen monoxide mixed in you would have quite a mess.

2 Likes

Landscape supply outfits (NOT the big box stores) will let you take baggies of sample soils or other bulk products to show to potential “customers”.

I’ve been watching Oleander Earthworks for a while… seems like it gives me the perfect sand rec for you!

Not to mention it is fairly cheap too! Bagged Zen Garden Sand | Natural Color Fine Grade Olander Earthworks

5 Likes

Personally, my wife loves the beach so if I were to make her one I’d go-to Rehoboth or Ocean city and get a big container of beach sand to use.

2 Likes

Thank you for the suggestion @jamely !
This looks great, I’ll have to check how the price compares with shipping added.

@techquest89 cool… Doesn’t quite work out easily for those of us landlocked :joy: (like in Colorado). Sounds fun though!

2 Likes

ROTFLMAO I gave @trually the same recommendation a few days ago. A huge bag is less than six dollars

3 Likes