Spatula (Pie Server) Gift

I bought a bunch of spatulas to give as Christmas gifts to our neighbors, friends, and family members with the idea that I would engrave the handle. The engraving on the wood looked horrible. I don’t know if it was the wood’s fault or mine, but after a number of failed attempts with various settings, I abandoned the idea. Then I remembered that I had a can of Laserbond from an earlier failed experiment. I tried marking the blade instead, and I think this should have been my approach from the beginning. It looked great.

I created a cardboard jig for alignment and to hold the blade against the crumb tray. The handle stuck up about three inches, but since I aimed it towards the door, it wasn’t a problem and there was plenty of clearance.

We tied the spatula to a box of brownie mix with a ribbon, and it made a pretty cute gift. At last count, I’ve made 93 of them.

40 Likes

Awesome gift!

13 Likes

Lol. I don’t even know that many people.

20 Likes

Have you ever seen anything authoritative that says whether or not laser bond is food safe?

I’ve always wondered and my initial investigation came up dry.

10 Likes

Wow! 93!?! That’s lovely, and I’m sure all the recipients were thrilled :smiley:

13 Likes

I hadn’t even thought about that. :grimacing:

8 Likes

LaserBond is billed as “non toxic” which is a good start but isn’t a “food safe” rating.

The stuff is so tough and chemical resistant when applied that I, at least, would not be scared of occasional contact like in this context.

Here’s something interesting from a similar product, CerMark.

A common question is “do your products have FDA approval?” CerMark is a coating used in a marking process. FDA approval must be obtained by each medical device manufacture where the process of marking would be considered part of the items manufacturing process. The CerMark coating and marking process otherwise generically referred to as “laser bonding” is not something the FDA can approve by its’ self. We have multiple customers that have used the CerMark laser bonding process and have had their instruments with our marks successfully approved by the FDA.

So CerMark markings can go inside your body, that seems like good news.

19 Likes

Wow, 93//!! Those look great!

11 Likes

What an awesome gift for all your neighbors! Not just the spatulas, but the brownie mix besides! That takes some time to mix it all, so that makes it even more special. 93! Wow! Great job!

7 Likes

Very nice gift!! I think it looks great!

7 Likes

It’s been approved by FDA as surgically safe, so I think it would be food safe too

7 Likes

Super cute gift… where did you get the spatulas?

4 Likes

I found them on Amazon.

7 Likes

Very clever.

3 Likes

What setting did you use the engrave these?

1 Like

What a nice idea! I’m sure all the recipients were thrilled to receive them!

3 Likes

I started with the settings @Xabbess shared under this topic, and they came out great:

Then I experimented with increasing the speed until I found a good tradeoff between speed and quality. (I was in a bit of a hurry!)

5 Likes

I’m new…so how does this work? You spray it on & then where you laser it “sticks” to the metal?
Thank you

2 Likes

It forms a chemical bond with the metal and leaves the design/text in black.

6 Likes

Thank you for your reply!

3 Likes