Speedweve Style Darning Loom

Thanks! So far, so good. It’s some 1/16" acrylic I got as scrap that someone else was going to toss, so I have no idea where it came from, or the specs on it. It has a little flex to it. I made the hook part thick though, and I believe it is strong enough for this…I’ve put a good amount of strain onto it. 1/8" material was much too thick.

3 Likes

Love gadgets this is really fun.

1 Like

Hooks notwithstanding (Do you have a good source for the hooks you’d recommend, if one DID go with the wire route?), I’d LOVE to buy plans if you’d like to share them! (Feel free to PM me as well, if you’d like to negotiate a one-off). Great work!

1 Like

Here’s a wire bending jig that would likely work well to make the hooks.
https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop/tools/jigs-guides-and-fixtures/32012-wire-bender?item=92W6701

5 Likes

This is wonderful! Where did you get the hooks? I think I need to make one of these. I love darning and this just looks like it would make my efforts so much neater and far less lumpy. I love it.

2 Likes

Thanks, I’ll consider it. The black hooks are bobby pins bent with pliers (tricksy to do without breaking) and the silver hooks are cotter pins bent with a hand seaming tool.

3 Likes