Stained Glass Lamp with Mitered Corners

ROFL! The “other shape” description got me.

I have no doubt that soon there will be all kinds of jig templates.

2 Likes

I applaud your creative fixturing!! Kudos!

Whoa. This is stunning!

This is awesome! Truly gorgeous <3

It is great for things that aren’t wide, but can be tall. (since you can lay across the length, but need to prop up at an angle and be under 2", or around 2.828" minus overhang on either side). Do you say it is best to cut the sides and then adjust the square to fit because it is difficult to get the lines cut at a particular length, or because of the math in calculating the size of the inner box?

If thing to cut is more than 2.something" wide less than 2" tall, you should be able to set it upright and cut a diagonal line across it at whatever angle desired, right? That should be easy to reproduce accurately if we have some kind of alignment jig.

Although since I have a quite handy miter saw, I’m not sure I see myself doing either of these often, personally :laughing:

Yes, but can your say make a 20 inch miter cut? Personally looking at adapting this box idea for holding chopsticks.

1 Like

While we’re at it, let’s remember that mitered boxes with more than 4 sides are much more forgiving on width.

4 Likes

WOWWWWWW, so beautiful!!!

2 Likes

the lamp is pretty enough but the cuts are genius. great jig, great idea.

3 Likes

Beautiful!!!

Absolutely amazing!!! Wonderful work!

I love your creative use of materials. The stained glass effect is really effective in the photos. Do you mind if I ask how close you need to be to notice that it isn’t actually glass? The stained glass and the miter are both giving me a lot of ideas. Great project!

4 Likes

Well, hmmmm, I’ve got it in front of me right now and it pretty much looks like glass from closer than arm’s length. If you want more photos just holler!

3 Likes

That’s fantastic! Any chance you have a photo of the mitering jig on its own?

I’m just curious if you built a little triangle-shaped box, or if you just leaned the wood on a flat piece of plywood on end and hoped (obviously successfully) that the whole thing wouldn’t tip…

1 Like

Here is a photo of the jig by itself. Just two 45 degree triangles glued to a flat piece. Some double sided tape on the card stock keeps the wood to be cut from slipping.

3 Likes

Thanks! That’s fantastic! :trophy:

Surd.

1 Like

Oh! Thanx. Surd is a class not just this constant but still, having the clue I learned something.
All the time I’ve messed with it I don’t think I ever realized that it was the square root of two.
I’ve always just known it as the ratio for a 45d right triangle which makes it important in alternating current theory.

1 Like

This experiment definitely needs to be revived. :slight_smile: #necrogame

4 Likes

Very cleaver! Great design. So I guess using this method I would need to cut the bottom out of the Glowforge and raise it up to do longer materials.

Thanks for sharing with me,

Cory

Really beautiful work — I am for sure going to try the engraved-embossed stained glass technique! —S