Stained Glass Lamp with Mitered Corners

1.414 should have a constant name if it doesn’t. Shows up everywhere.

3 Likes

I’m thinking its inverse, 0.707, might be seen more frequently (especially in trigonometry). But I agree, it’s an important number.

2 Likes

You may be right, both show up constantly in the STEM world. I didn’t have Trig in HS so I learned it in the Navy. Both show up in AC theory all the time due to the fact that a sinusoidal wave equates out to a right triangle.

4 Likes

Since pi is taken, how about turnover? (Everybody likes turnovers) ha!

10 Likes

The constant name a lot of people would recognize is √2, the square root of 2. The number 1.414 is just an approximation to √2.

5 Likes

We should rename pi to be 1.41 since it relates to the diagonal of a square. And everyone knows pi are square(d).

Or we could leave pi alone and call 1.41 “cornbread.” Everyone knows pi are round and cornbread are squared.

14 Likes

“Kindly leave the stage”

5 Likes

The hook is approaching my neck!

4 Likes

And yet, i thought it was funny.

3 Likes

Geek humor and puns. May be funny while still necessitating the removal from stage.

5 Likes
12 Likes

…and ice is…cubed?

7 Likes

Nice, clever jig too!

2 Likes

So clever! And honestly the end result is just ridiculous. At first I thought it was the inspiration or you were repairing it or something.

Maybe someone will put the plans for a jig in the catalogue to cut angles for a square, a hexagon, a… Other shape that is not a square or hexagon. I don’t math very well, and making a jig to make a honey comb sounds hard. But making honey comb things sounds fun.

I should not have doodled my way through geometry.

4 Likes

ROFL! The “other shape” description got me.

I have no doubt that soon there will be all kinds of jig templates.

2 Likes

I applaud your creative fixturing!! Kudos!

Whoa. This is stunning!

This is awesome! Truly gorgeous <3

It is great for things that aren’t wide, but can be tall. (since you can lay across the length, but need to prop up at an angle and be under 2", or around 2.828" minus overhang on either side). Do you say it is best to cut the sides and then adjust the square to fit because it is difficult to get the lines cut at a particular length, or because of the math in calculating the size of the inner box?

If thing to cut is more than 2.something" wide less than 2" tall, you should be able to set it upright and cut a diagonal line across it at whatever angle desired, right? That should be easy to reproduce accurately if we have some kind of alignment jig.

Although since I have a quite handy miter saw, I’m not sure I see myself doing either of these often, personally :laughing:

Yes, but can your say make a 20 inch miter cut? Personally looking at adapting this box idea for holding chopsticks.

1 Like

While we’re at it, let’s remember that mitered boxes with more than 4 sides are much more forgiving on width.

4 Likes