Swirlend tray

Oh, I quite understand. I get that way once in a while. (Should probably give folks warning before I do.) :rofl:

2 Likes

Thanks, that’s quite a compliment.

I think that the important part in a lot of this is the why, so I took the time to get into it. Again, it might have been simpler to say “Glue it in but be sure to not get glue on any visible surfaces” – I’m not sure what I am doing is much beyond common sense, nor am I sure it’s the best way to do things, but here we are. I love a good process description, so I feel should take the time to give back :slight_smile:

6 Likes

We all view our world through the lens of our own perspective, and what is ‘common’ to some is uncommon to others.
You are a great addition to this community, and your inspiration is infectious. :crazy_face:

Me too! I write much better than I speak (I guess because I actually have to think about it), but I enjoy it when I actually succeed in conveying a thought accurately. That doesn’t happen often enough!

There is an ancient thread here somewhere for showing our work spaces. I would really enjoy seeing yours!

4 Likes

It’s a tiny space. Think submarine-based mad scientist chic and you’re pretty much there. It’s not super photogenic :wink:

4 Likes

Thanks. This was the intersection that I worried about.

1 Like

Have you thought of cutting the first layer to = the outer dimensions, then the second layer to the inner one? That way you’re gluing on to two different surfaces of the “sides”…

My brain says that should be a better hold, but, not being a life long carpenter… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yup but then you’d see it. This is a pretty light-duty application, I don’t think it’s much of a concern. Aesthetics win out over strength.

If I integrated handles into the sides and made it more of a carrying tray I would be more worried and would definitely do some testing/redesigning.

This is what caused me to ask in the first place - the look is perfect without the visible bottom but I wasn’t sure how you were getting strength. But for light-duty use, it is likely plenty strong enough.

From a woodworking perspective, if you want more strength without a visible bottom or fingers, the solution is usually just a grove cut in each side with a table saw or router - pretty much the way the majority of mass-produced drawers work. Main challenge is if you want to not have the grove show, you pretty much need to use a plunge router and careful measuring - but it then doesn’t require any glue at all to hold the bottom in since it is just trapped by the grove. (And, if this is the only need you have for a router, there are small ones that would likely work great.) A bit more detail for those that care: https://www.thewoodwhisperer.com/articles/stopped-grooves-for-dovetailed-corners/

if you just want the groove and you’re patient with it, you can engrave it out and not need the router. i’ve done small channel slots for a sliding lid a couple of times. takes more time to figure out than a router, but i don’t have to buy a router since i’ve only done it a couple of times.

1 Like

There are other possibilities. Decorative pins that are drilled into the glued tray, cladding a traditional finger jointed box with an outer layer, incorporate the base into the short ends to give you a shelf on one pair of sides.

Besides if you really want to go with fingers, any number of decorative finger jointing techniques can make the whole thing look more intentional.

In the end for this size piece I bet solid gluing technique will be as strong as any other method that doesn’t have captive fingers or pins — which is sort of cheating because it’s just a reinforced glue joint. Modern wood glues are incredibly strong.

2 Likes

Oh, absolutely - but most of those would change the way your tray looks - the groove is the most straightforward to do without changing the look. Although I do like the idea of only putting it on two sides since you could then hide it in the gaps between fingers and not have to do a stopped groove.

And, you’re also correct that for this situation, a glue joint should be fine without anything additional.

1 Like

Your projects are inspirational and instructive, always motivational. You have a gift for design and lucid explanations. And you’re funny.

Merci.

2 Likes

Just want to throw out there another voice for someone who would buy designs for some of your work if it were made available. :slight_smile: I think just assembling something like that would help me wrap my head around the design aspect of my own stuff.

I demand the ability to give this box 1000 likes! It is absolutely beautiful!!

4 Likes

This must be one of the most beautiful trays I’ve ever seen. What a fantastic design and job you’ve done!

3 Likes

This is beautiful. And as a non-designer, I applaud your decision as well!

1 Like

Love it. Gives me so many ideas. Thanks for sharing!

1 Like