Terms of Service/Privacy Policy

The files we upload for processing are not public. Period.
The statement seeks to make you aware that the forum is read publicly, and as such anything you upload there is not protected.

A reply from Dan;
@sl33pydog: You raise an excellent point. We should be absolutely clear that unless you tell us otherwise, we’re legally committed to keeping your designs private, and Glowforge can’t do anything with them except send them to your (and only your) printer. I’m going to have our attorney make sure that we have language to that effect before we launch. Thank you for bringing that up.

So you aren’t the first to be wary.

1 Like

I’m aware Dan has stated that but it still needs to be in writing. As it stands right now with the current wording they own whatever we submit to them. There is no distinction between this forum site and the dashboard they will provide for us to use the glowforge. It would be nice to see it already in place.

1 Like

I believe the designs uploaded for your own personal use are safe. But they need permissions to do all the things necessary for you to access and use it with their S/W as per this legal statement.

“By uploading User Content to a private area of the Service (e.g., a design for use with your Product), you grant Glowforge a worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free, fully paid right and license to host, store, transfer, display, perform, reproduce, and modify, that User Content for the full period of time that you maintain your account on the Service, solely to enable your use of that User Content with your Product.

2 Likes

After looking another company’s legal documents, a company that I respect and with which I have experience, I am deleting my concerns about shipping in a post above. It doesn’t seem that the Glowforge terms are any different than the other company. I just had never run across that type of get out of jail free language before. The other company takes care of their customers directly even though the legalese allows them to do otherwise.

2 Likes

where did you find that? it’s sounds terrifying!

Terms of Service at the bottom of the main Glowforge website. Actually I thought that part was reasonable. “…solely to enable your use of that User Content with your Product”.

1 Like

I would have been a lot more concerned if I saw a “Best Efforts” clause in there.

1 Like

Cool, that’s what I was looking for, I looked under Privacy policy but it’s in the TOS

“You retain copyright and any other proprietary rights that you may hold in the User Content that you post to the Service, except as modified by your own action or actions to grant a license in accordance with Section”

Thanks

1 Like