Tested Gets a Glowforge - Second Pre-Release Unit in the Wild

But… but… then you couldn’t see the Glowforge laser glow!

We thought about that too. Stealthforge, maybe a new version. :slight_smile:

14 Likes

Nope nope the laser tube was always the coolest part of the makerspace laser so keep the retrofuture steampunk aesthetic pls.

8 Likes

Conceded.

3 Likes

I’m not into steampunk, or 80’s neon art, but it is a laser so the more light effects, even cheesy ones, the better. Also sound. I’ve never figured out why light, particularly in the void of space, makes so much noise, but pew-pew would be awesome as well.

9 Likes

Is it too late to get that UV blacklight glow? I have a Velvet Elvis poster I’d really love to light up where I plan to put mine, and I’d wear lots of white T-shirts.

7 Likes

Hmm…things are a bit more…legal…in Seattle…

3 Likes

I’ll have one of these please. I like black. (Painted my pink Gazelle black…)

1 Like

At this point, I am wanting a Ronco style infomercial. I realize that there’s no time, and the last thing I’d do with a pre-lease unit is take the time to produce one, but still, it’d be pretty entertaining. Especially with a couple of “But wait, there’s more!” moments. And especially especially if someone would make beef jerky with it.

2 Likes

Set it, and (FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DONT) forget it!

3 Likes

When I read Ronco I thought Rockwell as in retro encabulator

8 Likes

That must be Cave Johnson’s sister company.

5 Likes

I love these and was wondering how long till one would be posted. They give me insight into what tech briefs must sound like to those without the vocabulary to understand them

3 Likes

That sounds like a middle school essay where the student just starting throwing in words longer than six letters. Or something from a Dilbert for engineers book. (I have no background sufficient for parsing, let alone understanding any of that!)

:slight_smile:

And “dingle-arm” can’t be a legitimate technical term, right?

And now I see the Wiki article. When will I learn to not be so trusting on this forum?..!

5 Likes

That’s the thing, that is all jabberwocky and I guess that is how any tech brief sounds to outsiders. I literally sit and grin watching.

Oh, you updated while I was typing! LOL

3 Likes

Rockwell: "It’s produced by the modial interaction of magneto-reluctance and capacitive duractance"
Me: "wait, can you demonstrate that?"
Rockwell: -opens access panel-
Me: “perfect, thanks”

4 Likes

They should totally crowd source this! Add in a flux capacitor and some more Rockwell Automation know how and we’ll be able to get the Glowforge to make bacon.

1 Like

Some further discussion on Tested. This time about the delay.

11 Likes

A reasonable discussion. Seems most all of their disappointment is about the lack of transparency and communication. The same feeling voiced by the majority of forum members. (Please don’t derail this thread) But all in all, for those hanging in there, the good news is that the Tested team is still extremely positive about the product’s game changing position in the tech world. They’ve only had the unit for a week or so. It’s still going through testing in a pre-release, not full S/W, form. Can’t wait to see how that goes.

13 Likes

Woo-Hoo, made this last night, thank you!! Will make a thread soon…

3 Likes