Tested

@norman Congratulations on the upcoming nuptuals! :confetti_ball: :couple: :confetti_ball:

What a “backer” is entitled to in terms of information is debatable but Glowforge called their public money-raising efforts “crowdfunding”. “Backing” is the term used when people give money to a crowdfunding campaign. Calling it a “gift” is creating a distinction without a difference.

If preordering equals backing, perhaps Rockstar should claim the title of “biggest crowdfunding campaign ever” when they release GTA VI.

Ok I will give it to you that preordering a video game is not the greatest example. Maybe I should have used an investing example to better explain what I meant. As a worker who owns a 401k that is invested in various locations In The stock market, my portfolio has a percentage that is high risk (albeit small because I’m a chicken) and the majority low risk. Just because I own a small percentage in Microsoft (just an example I have no idea what exact stocks my 401k are in) that doesn’t mean that I can expect Microsoft to keep me up to date on the latest information on next Windows update they are working on. All I am trying to say is people need to realize that this is a large company that expanded quickly and is doing all it can to deliver the product you ordered. They have no real legal or moral obligation to keep us up to date. I think they have been more than forthcoming with as much information as they can. I don’t intend to blindly take up for a company but so far @dan and the whole glowforge staff has done nothing to make me question or doubt their ability to produce a great product on a time line that has always been clear.

I agree with all that. :slight_smile:

Tested mentioned this thread in todays “This is only a test”.

It was never my intention to cause a “freak out”, but only to share whatever information I come across that has not already been shared. Nice to hear them touch back on this…

7 Likes

That’s good to hear. :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

They’re good people. And they’ll give me hell if we don’t ship you a great product. :slightly_smiling:

9 Likes

We will all give you hell, OK so not all of us, but I will, if you don’t, and don’t start making us whine at you because you do. HAH

Tested again mentioned the Glowforge in today’s “This is only a test”. Some larger discussion about various 3D printers, CNC and laser cutting and then specific discussion about the Glowforge. Link should start at the beginning of the discussion:

3 Likes

Kind of relieved that the only negative was disappointment in the delay. Said they understood the reasons, and that communication was good and the free material was a nice gesture. At least that was my take.

1 Like

I don’t recall voting for less info. Are we getting a okay amount of info? Yeah. Are there question we’d like more info to? Yeah.

I remember Dan saying at some point that they cut down on direct emails because several people complained about the number of emails they were receiving.

1 Like

I’ve seen a similar comments from Dan several times. I believe the intent was to receive more information in the forums vs. waiting for formal email announcement and somehow that has morphed into too much email. Kind of like taking a secret and whispering it around the room then finding out the original is nothing like the final message. Wouldn’t worry about it, because there’s nothing we can change. It’s not like the company folks don’t know that we want more info.

1 Like