Testing for Settings

I like the way you designed it to encorporate the number in the engrave. Definite time saver. Sometimes I forget to mark my tests after removal and I get sidetracked. Usually I’m just looking for the on setting and I write that down.

7 Likes

Happy to share a smaller version of the file if anyone wants it…I know that Glowforge would probably prefer that we not publish the actual settings. (Just a single, not the one with the multiple speeds because that one takes a LONG time to set up in the interface with all of those colors…)

Easy enough to just jot the Speed and LPI used on the back after the run. I just use a post-it note.

LMK if anyone needs it. :slightly_smiling_face:

13 Likes

I have about 20+ that I got free with buying Clean Slate Riesling. Worked for me!! Now I can engrave them when I get my :glowforge:

4 Likes

I’d love to have that file @jules, thanks!

3 Likes

I’d love the file Jules! Thank you once again for helping us all out.

4 Likes

Okee-doke…

I pared it down and stuck a little hole in it - you could run a keychain through the prints and keep the stack next to the machine for reference on your materials. (Might re-run a few of mine just to leave there instead of the spreadsheet.)

And the file:

Engrave Test - Jules.zip (280.6 KB)

41 Likes

Thank you! :purple_heart:

3 Likes

Thank you very much for sharing. I made my own, but I think your’s is better. :relaxed:

2 Likes

I’m sure it’s not better, they all do the same thing. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Thank you! I have a whole bunch of 3" diameter split rings that open up, perfect for keeping a bunch of these organized.

8 Likes

Ooh! Good idea! I think I might have a couple upstairs as well! :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

THANK YOU! :revolving_hearts:

2 Likes

@jules, I have been testing settings this morning and finally got around to looking at scores. On my test setup, even though I made the line thickness pretty thick, a score makes a very fine line. I guess I was expecting the line to be wider. I guess since the laser is a fine point it only makes a single pass. Is there a way to score a wider line?

2 Likes

Thank you, This is SO professional looking.

2 Likes

No, a Score line is always the thickness of a single laser beam. If you want to make a line that looks a little thicker - you have to Expand the Stroke (which makes it into a very thin filled rectangle) and then Engrave it.

It takes a lot longer to engrave a line than it does to score it though - there is a lot more travel movement necessary for engraving.

(Which design software are you using? There are tutorials for how to Expand the Stroke for Illustrator and Inkscape.)

3 Likes

Awesome! Thanks for sharing this.

3 Likes

I am using Corel. So far I like it a lot. BTW your engraving test is the bomb. Thank you very much for sharing that.

3 Likes

Oh crud - i have no idea how to do it in CorelDraw. We have experts here who can tell you how though - @smcgathyfay and @johnwills . Either one can probably tell you really quickly. Guys? :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Score or vector etch would be a hairline width in corel.
If you want to raster etch or engrave a thicker line, decide the width of the line then do outline to object.

5 Likes

What about this file tells the glowforge to use the power rating that you indicate? I am surprised to see a rainbow of colors instead of percentages of black.

1 Like