Testing for Settings

I’d love the file Jules! Thank you once again for helping us all out.

4 Likes

Okee-doke…

I pared it down and stuck a little hole in it - you could run a keychain through the prints and keep the stack next to the machine for reference on your materials. (Might re-run a few of mine just to leave there instead of the spreadsheet.)

And the file:

Engrave Test - Jules.zip (280.6 KB)

41 Likes

Thank you! :purple_heart:

3 Likes

Thank you very much for sharing. I made my own, but I think your’s is better. :relaxed:

2 Likes

I’m sure it’s not better, they all do the same thing. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Thank you! I have a whole bunch of 3" diameter split rings that open up, perfect for keeping a bunch of these organized.

8 Likes

Ooh! Good idea! I think I might have a couple upstairs as well! :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

THANK YOU! :revolving_hearts:

2 Likes

@jules, I have been testing settings this morning and finally got around to looking at scores. On my test setup, even though I made the line thickness pretty thick, a score makes a very fine line. I guess I was expecting the line to be wider. I guess since the laser is a fine point it only makes a single pass. Is there a way to score a wider line?

2 Likes

Thank you, This is SO professional looking.

2 Likes

No, a Score line is always the thickness of a single laser beam. If you want to make a line that looks a little thicker - you have to Expand the Stroke (which makes it into a very thin filled rectangle) and then Engrave it.

It takes a lot longer to engrave a line than it does to score it though - there is a lot more travel movement necessary for engraving.

(Which design software are you using? There are tutorials for how to Expand the Stroke for Illustrator and Inkscape.)

3 Likes

Awesome! Thanks for sharing this.

3 Likes

I am using Corel. So far I like it a lot. BTW your engraving test is the bomb. Thank you very much for sharing that.

3 Likes

Oh crud - i have no idea how to do it in CorelDraw. We have experts here who can tell you how though - @smcgathyfay and @johnwills . Either one can probably tell you really quickly. Guys? :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Score or vector etch would be a hairline width in corel.
If you want to raster etch or engrave a thicker line, decide the width of the line then do outline to object.

5 Likes

What about this file tells the glowforge to use the power rating that you indicate? I am surprised to see a rainbow of colors instead of percentages of black.

1 Like

Filled vector shapes of different colors means different operations in the GFUI. The colors separate each oval into a different operation that you can enter your custom engrave settings. If you just used a percentage of black, it would see the vector fill as black no matter what shade of gray you use since it doesn’t do vector filled gradients yet.

You would have to make each one a separate bitmap of percentage of black which would be a worthy test, but not what we are looking at in this test.

3 Likes

Me. I tell it what to use when I set it up. Manual override on the power settings. :slightly_smiling_face:

Those colors are keyed to fall in descending order when the interface picks them up. @marmak3261 worked it out a while back and gave us the coded order. I set them up in Illustrator that way.

(There are a couple of write-ups on it.)

3 Likes

I thought the engrave by color function worked by percentage of black to white though? So if I set the power to 100, black would be 100 down to white at 0. Unless I am totally misunderstanding that. Either way thanks for the explanation.

1 Like

By the by guys - I am having to reinvent the wheel on the leather - that stuff is a pure -D beeyatch to engrave without making a mess. If I succeed in figuring it out - I’ll post a “Lower Power Settings” version of that engrave file - you’re gonna need it. All of the settings on that original file are too high for leather. :flushed:

6 Likes