The Chess box - puzzle box - 30 steps

This is awesome. And thank you for sharing. I love the look of it and puzzle boxes are so much fun!

Thank you.

1 Like

I don’t think they pass on puzzles if Chris is correct with the price on some of them he has. $5k or more for some of them. I do feel that some of the cheaper ones are gifted to them or easier to get than the rare ones that only 100 are made world wide.

2 Likes

Chris mentioned in the solve video he released today that the same puzzle had been sent to him and Mr. Puzzle as a challenge to see who could solve it first.

So there’s definitely a link, which we probably all knew anyway…

2 Likes

Wow - thank you!!! Something else to add to my digital download collection that I’ll never build but really want to!

2 Likes

Some time ago Mr.puzzle also repaired a puzzle for Chris after it broke in his video. If I remember it correct it was called Excalibur. I liked the name since it was a burr puzzle :wink:

1 Like

:joy: I have the same problem, and I only have my glowforge for about 2 months. The amount of .stl files which is would like to print is also stagering…

1 Like

Chris Ramsey just posted a video about your Chess Box!

2 Likes

… but I wonder if he found the extra secret bonus secret?

I didn’t spot anything matching that description.

1 Like

… but Mr Puzzle found it!

1 Like

I’m glad Mr puzzle found it! The amount of people telling Chris he missed something is amazing :stuck_out_tongue:
I’m very happy that Mr puzzle was so impressed with the build quality! Having a laser cutter really makes a lot of difference.

3 Likes

Congrats on the exposure - which is well deserved based on the quality of your work!

1 Like

Where do you buy the rods?

Excellent work! It’s rare that I purchase a file but I made the exception here. As a puzzle designer, I know you probably poured well over a hundred hours of designing, prototyping, and assembling this project. I appreciate you selling the files for ~$15, because it is definitely worth far more!

• It looks like you designed the box in a 3D CAD program. Is there any chance you would consider including those files in the purchase for future customers? The ability to scale dimensions in 3D would definitely be a game changer. Most of the users here probably work with 3mm ply and not 4mm.
  • Speaking of a game changer - I’m adjusting the design to have 8 squares. As a purist, I simply couldn’t cut it unless I could actually play on it!
1 Like

I bought some nails en used a saw to cut rods out of it.

I’m glad you like the building plan!

I’ll think about adding the 3D file. I might want to brush up some details because not all components in the 3d model were fixed properly.

I’m curious how your final result will look with the extra squares! I’m currently working on a larger puzzle with 8 by 8 squares on all sides. It will be a very long project because I want to add way too many things to the box. I’m aiming at a puzzle with multiple compartments Wich each contain a few chess pieces. I want to make it take very long to open, but still approachable and possible to do.

It will have multiple smaller puzzles, like the chess box. When you solve the first puzzle you can open a compartment which allows you to start the next one.

I don’t know many puzzle designers, so if you have any ideas you would like to see in such a puzzle, I would love to hear them!

3 Likes

I considered buying the file a $15 head start :wink:

The mechanism reminds me very much of the interlocking mazes found in some of these puzzles:

Most puzzles like this are “binary.” It involves moving all the way through a sequence, pushing one piece closer to the goal, then moving all the way back through that sequence. Every additional layer you add will double the number of moves to complete the puzzle, but it doesn’t necessarily make the puzzle any “harder” to figure out. At the extreme, you have absolute beasts like this 3D interlocking monster:

I think I have managed to tweak the file into an 8x8 grid that can be cut in a combination of 3mm/6mm material (aka Proofgrade!). I tried to adjust for kerf to ensure there is friction where it belongs and no friction where the pieces should slide. I hope to cut it out sometime soon to see what still needs adjusting.

5 Likes

It never dwindles, speaking from experience. I need to retire so I can play with my laser like I’d like to. Seems like weekends and evening are swallowed up in “life” things you have to do. My TO LASER folder grows larger and larger. Lots of wood and acrylic sitting here. Awesome design you came up with! I hope you get to spend lots of time with your laser, I’ll start looking for your posts.

2 Likes