The direction of cut

I am cutting thin materials, they flap around from the fan wind. Is there any way to set the direction of cut. Or cut priority? for example i want the central part cut first then the next etc and finally the outer boarder.

Now it cuts the boarder first and the material flapps around skrewing up all the subsequent cuts.

Change the stroke color of each piece you want cut separately. This will allow you to reorder them in the GFUI.

6 Likes

You can also use a light coat of spray adhesive to tack your thin material down to a piece of hardboard while you cut.

4 Likes

Here is solution that has a higher cost but works well.

4 Likes

Good advice.

Support can’t help with cutting non-Proofgrade materials, so I’ll move this to the appropriate forum. They will still check in, though, as posting in P&S opens a support ticket.

1 Like

I have very complicated patterns but this is a good idea, i will try this out tomorrow.

1 Like

I tried that but it gets very messy with glue, the thin material is absorbent, i tried with water and that actually worked pretty well. It didn’t need much tension. I also tried using covering paper on both sides that stiffened it up a bit.

2 Likes

You have to get the repositionable kind, and just use a super light coating.

People have also had good results leaving tiny breaks in the cut lines here and there to hold the piece in place during cutting.

2 Likes

I use 0.1mm as the size of the “tiny” break. Stays together until I push on it and then it comes out clean. You do get a “white” line vs the laser scorch on either side which may or may not be an issue.

1 Like

Another option, depending on the size of the design, is to engrave it vs. cutting.

Engraving always runs from front to back.

It would obviously be slow for large pieces, but people have used it for paper with success.

You can make custom dash patterns and then use those as chads.

From a previous post about doing this in Inkscape:

I added a new dash pattern of “20,.25” (mm) to the default preferences, which puts a .25mm gap in the lines. Inkscape can convert dashed lines to actual segments, which is nice. This worked very well, they tore out after the cut with pretty much zero tab left behind. It was a delicate balance, just enough to hold the paper down without interfering with the design.

I found a brown Sharpie to be a close match.

1 Like

This works really well, this is the method moving forward i think! Thank you

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.